Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speaker Wiring

Options
  • 16-12-2009 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

I found a good set of monitors in my house, they have binding posts instead of plugs for wire input same with the amp. Where can I get about 2 metres of wiring for them? anywhere relatively cheap in dublin would be great.

They are JBL 4425 studio monitors, about 10 years old i think.
    200W each i think.

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Maplin's would be your best bet I reckon

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Mau5

Nice one I was thinking of trying there alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

like these?MFG_2383-0.jpg
    you can just strip back the insulation on you existing leads and twist off the coper strands and pass them into the post and tighten the plastic nut.
    not pretty but works, although i would recomend getting a thicker gauge oxygen free cable and fitting it with banana connections, these just push into the end of the post, you might have to pop off a dust cover on the post end.20x_4MM_Gold_plated_banana_plugs_1.jpg
    maplin do a set by shark, normally found by the car hifi stuff, should cost less than €10 for a set of four, is there still a richer sounds in dublin? they'd have everything you need too.

yeah thats the connection the first picture.
    Need to get more wiring though because they wires they are connected to now are ran through the skirting board on the walls i cant move the wire.

Any specific type of wire i should get? I was going to just cut a sample off the wire its connected to now and bring it into maplins and see if they have some.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Go to your nearest DIY shop and buy the cheap twin core cable like you'd see on a table lamp. Google will show you that audiophiles couldn't tell it apart in blind trials from "high end" speaker cables costing over $100/metre.

• Advertisement

Yeah I was wondering if there was any difference in the actual type of wire, Ill do the cheapest option!
    Its only temporary anyways, I have a nice PA system ordered off Thomann but its out of stock till the 21st and I got an email telling me They wont be delievered until mid-january... Christmas morning is going to be depressing!

Advertisement