Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catholicism and Divorce

Options
  • 16-12-2009 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Could someone help me please? I am getting varied answers on this one. What status does a divorced Catholic have in the eyes of the RC church? Can you accept the sacraments e.g. communion? Does it mean that absolution of sin is also a non runner, as I'm not contrite about my divorce.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

You cannot receive communion or confession if divorced and involved in another union, if your living alone however then you may receive both.

but if yur not to reciecve yu need not feel your trapped away from your faith - you can recieve spiritual communion, worship the eucharist in exposition of the sacrament and also do daily prayer and mass attendance theres nothing holding you back from these things.

cheers...

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭HereKitty

Thanks Baggio:)

no worries kitty :)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭SirHenryGrattan

HereKitty wrote: »
    Could someone help me please? I am getting varied answers on this one. What status does a divorced Catholic have in the eyes of the RC church? Can you accept the sacraments e.g. communion? Does it mean that absolution of sin is also a non runner, as I'm not contrite about my divorce.

Thanks

Separation is fine. Remarriage is the problem as well as sex outside marriage. So no rumpy pumpy unless your ex dies.

Separation is fine. Remarriage is the problem as well as sex outside marriage. So no rumpy pumpy unless your ex dies.

Hmmmmm.....all looks a bit grim them, :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

HereKitty wrote: »
    Hmmmmm.....all looks a bit grim them, :eek:

Anullment?

I was listening to this monk who published a cookbook, Brother Anselm, from Glenstal, on the radio recently. He said he got married, had kids etc, then the marriage had 'come to an end' so he got the marriage anulled and became a monk once more. The way he described it sounded very matter of fact, so it might not be that hard?

its veryyy hard to get an anullment,,,you have to be able to show the marriage bassically was not a real/true marriage, many factors come into that and if your ex and winesses deside to be difficult and not be honest with evidence then your sunk!

not easy at all and veryy slow too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Baggio wrote: »
    not easy at all and veryy slow too

Also, a really ****ty thing to do to your ex.
    Its basically saying that the marriage didn't exist at all. I could understand it, for example, if two very young people got married and almost immediately afterwards came to the realisation that they didn't understand what they had got themselves into.

But if it was a real marriage, and especially if it resulted in real kids, then seeking an annulment seems to me to be a very selfish (and dishonest) move.

well depends on the situation, if yur wife/hubby turned out to be a drug addict or axe murderer or whatever crazy thing you can imagine and somehow managed to conceal this...and ya married him/her not knowing or if they were the town stud/hoochie and again yu were unaware ,,,surely the HONEST thing is to face up to the fact that the marriage was un sound from the beginning.......theres nothing dishonest in that....

people who get married have a right to know the person their settling down with is upfront with them and honest and who they say they are ...i dont see any issue with that. we all make mistakes but in christian terms its a sacred thing to get married and should be taken seriously,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

If a marriage gets annulled, what happens to the names of wife and children in the RC church? (assuming the wife took the husbands second name)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

well depends on the situation, if yur wife/hubby turned out to be a drug addict or axe murderer or whatever crazy thing you can imagine and somehow managed to conceal this...and ya married him/her not knowing or if they were the town stud/hoochie and again yu were unaware ,,,surely the HONEST thing is to face up to the fact that the marriage was un sound from the beginning.......theres nothing dishonest in that....

people who get married have a right to know the person their settling down with is upfront with them and honest and who they say they are ...i dont see any issue with that. we all make mistakes but in christian terms its a sacred thing to get married and should be taken seriously,,,

If there was some important pertinent information concealed before the marriage then fair enough.

But is its just being used as a proxy for divorce then I think its selfish and dishonest.

dvpower,,,exactly why in general their hard to get and details are checked veryyy slowly and carefully ,,, its not a quick quitting procedure by any means....

genghiz cohen no idea,,maybe ask a canon lawyer they would know

You're spot on with this Baggio. And unfortunately not all people enter marriage with the right intention.
    Every situation is different and in some cases anullment is absolutley appropriate.

Advertisement