Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N2 - Slane Bypass CPO published today

Options
  • 16-12-2009 12:36pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭

no link for it, but its in the Irish Times.

Cheap enough, desperately needed scheme - somehow doubt its going to be the "maybe 1 scheme" for 2010 though...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

How this has been on the backburner so long is just mind-boggling...

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Here's the link to the publications on the Meath CC website showing drawings (pdf) and preferred route.

http://www.meath.ie/LocalAuthorities/Roads/MajorRoadsProjects/N2SlaneBypass/SlaneBypassPublications/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

What spec of road will it be? i.e. will it be at least DC?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Narrow DC (wire barrier, no H/S).

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭flickarius

The last I heard they were gonna bypass Slane, Collon & Ardee in one go, which I found unbeleivable given the current economic climate. Great to see the Slane bypass is finally looking like a reality.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

flickarius wrote: »
    The last I heard they were gonna bypass Slane, Collon & Ardee in one go, which I found unbeleivable given the current economic climate. Great to see the Slane bypass is finally looking like a reality.

This may have been the proposal to use the whole N2 corridor for our half of the "Dublin to Derry Motorway". Which isn't very likely - its more likely to be be M1/N33/N2 or M1/N53/N2 corridors instead.

Right now, the Slane BP is the most "sneak past the Greens-able" due to the frequent crashes caused by the bridge. Ardee is just a traffic delay and Collon isn't that bad as its straight through with no lights - although I know it can be very hard to cross the road or get out of one of the echelon parking spaces on the main street!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

The problem is the one way bridge. Traffic on the Slane road has been falling ever since the M1 opening. It will fall further when the M3 opens.

All is needed is a relief road and a new bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oddiot

MYOB wrote: »
    Right now, the Slane BP is the most "sneak past the Greens-able" due to the frequent crashes caused by the bridge.

What a great expression :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

mysterious wrote: »
    All is needed is a relief road and a new bridge
    That's basically all they are building, albeit with a type II DC, which makes sense and lets people overtake.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This CPO should have been published in 1975, not 2009.

That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

This will still be delayed as it is a way to evade the M1 toll. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Slane is already bypassed for traffic between Ardee and Dublin. the M1 and N32 do this. wasting money on this is a waste. Just ban trucks using that section of the N2.

It's been done on the N4, N1, N2 ad N11 in Dublin city centre, where trucks heading for the N4,N7,M11 from DUblin Port have to use the tunnel and pay a toll as they cross the Liffey at westlink.
    Alternatively, spend a small fraction of the money bypassing Slane'd cost and pay a shadow toll to the M1 toll co for trucks.

Then de-trunk the N2 south of Ardee.

Alternatively, spend a small fraction of the money bypassing Slane'd cost and pay a shadow toll to the M1 toll co for trucks.

1000 trucks * 365 days * 6.10 over 15 years assuming no inflation (!) in prices or traffic is 34M.

This is a tiny scheme. Slane needs a second bridge anyway, and the design is only going to be (narrow) DC as the NRA basically don't do single carriageway anymore. I'd also be appalled if it'd cost 34M at current CPO and tender prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

MYOB wrote: »
    1000 trucks * 365 days * 6.10 over 15 years assuming no inflation (!) in prices or traffic is 34M.

Less the VAT - 28million. the -6% this year will take a while to catch back up again.
    Are there a thousand trucks per day?

Has the Longford N5 bypass been cpo'd. or other bottle necks with no effective alternative?
    the M1 is only 8km away at Ardee. There is no comparable destination with parallel national primary routes like the N1/M1.

As far as I'm aware the land for the N5 Longford BP is fenced off. There's been tenders awarded recently for prelim works - its actually so cheap it could go ahead anyway this year.

1000 trucks a day comes from the EIS, and from having driven there frequently, I don't doubt it.

To be honest, if there's one town in Ireland I'd never begrudge a bypass, it's Slane.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Someday

What sort of timeframes are we looking at if everything goes to plan, get it started in 1 year and 18 months to build ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bypassslane

Hard to say exactly. Submissions on the EIS and CPO notice are due in by Feb 17. Then Bord Planeála will decide whether an oral hearing is required. If there is a hearing then this will add to the time involved. All going well, it will be 2012 before the project is complete. Meath Co Co have a projected budget for the project, to be completed in 2012 totalling €45m to come via the NRA. This is a drop in the ocean of the NRA budgets - even in these recessionary times they have in the order of €6bn p.a. The bypass is essential - there is a constant danger to Slane residents and users of the N2. At least 22 have been killed so far (we've lost count at this stage) not to mention the numerous other non-fatal incidents. I'm delighted to see some interest in the problem outside the local area. You might like to check out bypassslane.ie for more.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Slane BP is essential but no need for DC here. Not required and it'll only encourage people to continue using the N2. It should be detrunked as far as Ardee, stat. Dual the N33.
    This will still be delayed as it is a way to evade the M1 toll. Simple as that.
    You'd want to be mad to use Slane N2 instead of the M1 ! Huge diversion and to avoid what, a tiny tiny toll. Motorway tolls in Ireland are very modest by international standards, and I'm even including the developing world (I've driven in many, many foreign countries).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,913 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I've used the Slane route to dodge the toll before. (That was before I had an eFlow tag and couldn't be arsed rooting around in my pockets for change before coming to the toll bridge). Helps that I'm living along the N2 as you come off the M50 anyway, and the half the journey is on the M2 Ashbourne bypass so it's not too bad a drive.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement

spacetweek wrote: »
    Slane BP is essential but no need for DC here. Not required and it'll only encourage people to continue using the N2. It should be detrunked as far as Ardee, stat. Dual the N33.

You'd want to be mad to use Slane N2 instead of the M1 ! Huge diversion and to avoid what, a tiny tiny toll. Motorway tolls in Ireland are very modest by international standards, and I'm even including the developing world (I've driven in many, many foreign countries).
    Funneling everything onto the M1 (british style, M1 and M6 corridors) seems illogical to me. An incident on the M1 could close off access from the north and northwest to Dublin. The N2 needs upgrading anyway and Slane needs bypassing. The marginal extra cost of providing a type II (remember this is not a motorway grade bypass with loads of flyovers etc.) dual carriageway over a WS2 means the option chosen makes sense. Further online upgrades to type II dual carriageway between Ashbourne and Slane and between Slane and Ardee will in time allow an alternate route to Dublin should an incident close the M1.

I would not list the remainder of the N2 (after Slane is bypassed) as high priorities but by building a narrow S2 bypass of Slane now, it means the road will be extremely difficult to upgrade later, when funds are available and other more pressing schemes like the M20 have been completed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

murphaph wrote: »
    Funneling everything onto the M1 (british style, M1 and M6 corridors) seems illogical to me. An incident on the M1 could close off access from the north and northwest to Dublin. The N2 needs upgrading anyway and Slane needs bypassing. The marginal extra cost of providing a type II (remember this is not a motorway grade bypass with loads of flyovers etc.) dual carriageway over a WS2 means the option chosen makes sense. Further online upgrades to type II dual carriageway between Ashbourne and Slane and between Slane and Ardee will in time allow an alternate route to Dublin should an incident close the M1.

I would not list the remainder of the N2 (after Slane is bypassed) as high priorities but by building a narrow S2 bypass of Slane now, it means the road will be extremely difficult to upgrade later, when funds are available and other more pressing schemes like the M20 have been completed.
    But you could just apply this logic everywhere. Why not build a parallel DC for the M3, M4, M7, M11 etc. in case there's an incident on the old road? Isn't the old N1 good enough for this purpose?

Only part of the N2 that should be considered for dualling is from Ardee north, to tie in with the A5 in NI.

spacetweek wrote: »
    But you could just apply this logic everywhere. Why not build a parallel DC for the M3, M4, M7, M11 etc. in case there's an incident on the old road? Isn't the old N1 good enough for this purpose?

Only part of the N2 that should be considered for dualling is from Ardee north, to tie in with the A5 in NI.
    I'd have to see the AADTs but if folks are still using the N2 in large quantities then it's obvious the M1 is insufficiently attractive/convenient to them. If the N2 is the prefered road and is substandard in parts, it should be upgraded.

The old N1 is obviously not a suitable alternative route for M1 traffic as the M1 was built in the first place because the N1 was substandard. The fact is also there that the M2 does exist and can't be erased. Not connecting the Slane bypass (undoubtedly required) down to the M2 with a 2+2 road someday would seem silly to me. As I said, it should not be a priority but any upgrades of the N2 should be at least 2+2 IMO to eventually provide a dual carriageway standard route all along the N2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

murphaph wrote: »
    I'd have to see the AADTs but if folks are still using the N2 in large quantities then it's obvious the M1 is insufficiently attractive/convenient to them. If the N2 is the prefered road and is substandard in parts, it should be upgraded.

The old N1 is obviously not a suitable alternative route for M1 traffic as the M1 was built in the first place because the N1 was substandard. The fact is also there that the M2 does exist and can't be erased. Not connecting the Slane bypass (undoubtedly required) down to the M2 with a 2+2 road someday would seem silly to me. As I said, it should not be a priority but any upgrades of the N2 should be at least 2+2 IMO to eventually provide a dual carriageway standard route all along the N2.

Sounds like personal bias to me!

The old N1 is fine. for an alternative road, what the fup are you on about? Seriously I can't even come to answer the rest of the post or answer the rest.......

Funny how you want this 2+2 for you are fiercely against future proofing roads.

Ouch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Considering the A5 is going to be upgraded to dual carriageway standard road, the N2 should be made dual all the way to the border. I would assume that AADT would be over 10K at least on most parts of the N2?

Mysterious, could you discuss the matter with less ranting please.

mysterious wrote: »
    Sounds like personal bias to me!
    I live in Germany. I have driven through Slane probably 5 times in my life. I can still objectively view the matter at hand. ;)

The marginal increase in cost between single carriageway and 2+2 here is the issue. If it were twice as expensive it would be a different matter, but it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Someday

Where are we at with this bypass ?

Someday wrote: »
    Where are we at with this bypass ?

Planning rejected, albeit not for the reasons the anti-bypass troll on here claims it was rejected for. NRA to decide what to do.

Likely a few traffic studies and some proof that there isn't another route and a re-application is what is needed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The Bridge Troll only appears when the Slane Bypass is mentioned. They don't even live in Slane. :)

They stick to the 'other' thread > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64125251

• Advertisement
Advertisement