Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Just passed NCT but car has problems.

Options
  • 16-12-2009 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Ok so I failed the NCT 2 weeks ago on Low Idle emissions. I took it to the garage and they said there where two things that needed to be done. Firstly there was a crack in the Catalytic Converter and secondly the AGR values and intake air manifolds had to be replaced.

They said it would be 50 quid to weld the crack but well over 200 euro for the rest. I'm completely broke so I asked them to just do the welding and I hoped for the best. Thankfully the car passed yesterday but now I don't know whether to get the other issues sorted or just trade it in and get a car for around 3000e or something.

There is another issue. When ever I drive the car on a bumpy road there is a rattle/creaking noise from the rear underside of the car and it is 10 times worse if there is a passenger in the car. It actually sounds like the car is about to fall apart and I have said it to two separate garages and neither seems to be able to figure out what’s causing it but they didn't drive it themselves to hear the noise it makes on the road.

Any idea what could be causing this noise? It has been making it for nearly a year now. Would it be possible to get by without fixing the other issues even though my engine light is on?

The car is an 00 Opel Corsa.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Deadalus wrote: »
    Ok so I failed the NCT 2 weeks ago on Low Idle emissions. I took it to the garage and they said there where two things that needed to be done. Firstly there was a crack in the Catalytic Converter and secondly the AGR values and intake air manifolds had to be replaced.

They said it would be 50 quid to weld the crack but well over 200 euro for the rest. I'm completely broke so I asked them to just do the welding and I hoped for the best. Thankfully the car passed yesterday but now I don't know whether to get the other issues sorted or just trade it in and get a car for around 3000e or something.

There is another issue. When ever I drive the car on a bumpy road there is a rattle/creaking noise from the rear underside of the car and it is 10 times worse if there is a passenger in the car. It actually sounds like the car is about to fall apart and I have said it to two separate garages and neither seems to be able to figure out what’s causing it but they didn't drive it themselves to hear the noise it makes on the road.

Any idea what could be causing this noise? It has been making it for nearly a year now. Would it be possible to get by without fixing the other issues even though my engine light is on?

The car is an 00 Opel Corsa.

Cheers

Buy a new car, youl get a cheap one with a nct for a year or twoo for around a grand if you look, and manage to filter out the dreamers.

Ho do you have around 3k for a new car and not e250 for the repairs of your own?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Deadalus

Well I wouldn't borrow 250 euro for repairs I would just save up over a few months but if I was getting a new car I would be getting the 3000 from the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Deadalus wrote: »
    I would be getting the 3000 from the bank.

Easier said than done:(

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you are broke and cannot afford €250 to get the current car repaired then why are you even contemplating borrowing €3k for a new car?

That €250 might get you another year out of the current car. I think it is worth spending that on the current car before borrowing money for a new car.

I would normally agree with you bazz26 but I would like to change the car also and I figure it will at least be worth something at the minute with a brand new NCT with regards using it as part exchange in a garage.

Anybody know if it really is that expensive to change the AGR valves and stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The EGR valve (not AGR, and there's only one) and inlet manifold are expensive enough (if both new), I'd say the parts would be most of the price of that quote. EGR valves going arseways are a common enough issue with Corsas from around then, so I don't think you've got a lemon or anything. The engine should run a lot better with a new EGR valve.

Regarding the noise you'd need to get the mechanic to hear it for themselves. Could be some suspension bushings that need replacing, nothing unusual for a car of this age.

Cheers for that reponse.

Do you think I could source the parts myself at a cheaper price or is it best just to go through the garage?

Advertisement