Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quad question

Options
  • 16-12-2009 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Lads,

I'm having a debate with myself between 2 quad. Both are honda, but one is 420 liquid cooled and the other is 500cc air cooled. both have the button shift gears and both are new. Can anybody advise me about air cooled vs liquid cooled quad engines?

TIA

Jonty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭docmartin

was the 420cc not a very very basic quad from honda, launched maybe in 07 as a budget quad for irish farmers??

I'd go the 500cc every time, better ground clearence, more desireable resale.

but thats just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Liquid cooled run tighter tolerances and usually have better performance.
    Air cooled have less to go wrong and have been made by Honda for years
    I would go for air cooled.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 slaxbolts

Hey man, Id go 500 an absoulute beast of a quad for farm and fun, a mate of mine has one (air Cooled 500cc) and its the button shift but the electrics in the button shift has gone about 3 times, Id go for gear change, they rarely ever go wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Tricky1127

I`ve sold a raptor 660 great fun very fast + loud no good for hunting! Any how i got it on an english plate reg; as motorbike why bike not plant, its so could be taxed insured and used on the roads the VRT was small money it was on 01 reg + get one with a reverce ! (insurance is a must you may hit a deer ;))
    So what ever you go for make sure its a bike not plant on log book
    Regards Tricky

You ca register a farm quad (420/500) like he's asking about as an agricultural vehicle and tax is free!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭docmartin

slaxbolts wrote: »
    You ca register a farm quad (420/500) like he's asking about as an agricultural vehicle and tax is free!
    +1

and ya can insure it under the chassis number

Yep:D

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Tricky1127

docmartin wrote: »
    +1

and ya can insure it under the chassis number

When i looked in to it Yes i could insure it under its Vin Number but then after a short time i`d have to give them a Reg no;- , And because i`m not a farmer i couldn`t get plant/farm insurance for it!
    Hope this makes it clear i`m not saying what you "must" do just the way i did it
    :cool:

Tricky1127 wrote: »

When i looked in to it Yes i could insure it under its Vin Number but then after a short time i`d have to give them a Reg no;- , And because i`m not a farmer i couldn`t get plant/farm insurance for it!
    Hope this makes it clear i`m not saying what you "must" do just the way i did it
    :cool:

Ye, I agree, I was just saying you can register it that way, because Id say This guy is in the country and he wants a farm quad (420/500) so thats the handiest way to do it.

Hope this helps.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

well lads, I was off looking at a 500 foreman with Electric shift today and I was mightily impressed. Thanks to everybody for their input!!

• Advertisement

Hope you get it and it all works out for you and well wear:D

Good luck

Advertisement