Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW E46 Heater Control Problem

Options
  • 16-12-2009 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have a small (but annoying..) issue with the Heater Control in my car (E46 318ci 2000).

The heater only works on full speed (setting 4), and at no other setting (0-3). I have looked for similar issues online but can only find problems with the Final Stage Resistor, which I don't think is the same for a car without air conditioning. I have taken the under steering wheel cover off and tried to look for a similar part behind the centre console but cannot see it.

Anyone know where this issue points to? What would be the equivalent device in a BMW without air conditioning? The Heater Controls that I have are pictured below:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BL32&mospid=47610&btnr=64_0816&hg=64&fg=20

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The heater controls you've posted are from a car with air conditioning? I'd suspect the resistor pack too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭ondafly

sounds like final stage resistor - this went in my friends old m3 which had analogue aircon like above (not to be confused with climate control with its fancy digital buttons ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Sorry think I posted the wrong one actually.. just remove the button with the frost symbol and replace it with the rear window heater button.

I definitely don't have air conditioning in any case :o

ondafly wrote: »
    sounds like final stage resistor - this went in my friends old m3 which had analogue aircon like above (not to be confused with climate control with its fancy digital buttons ;) )

I've looked... and I don't have any FSR. These are only for air conditioned BMWs as far as I know.

There must be a different device for cars without air conditioning, are there some things that can be checked behind the glove department? I read this somewhere..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I've looked... and I don't have any FSR. These are only for air conditioned BMWs as far as I know.

There must be a different device for cars without air conditioning, are there some things that can be checked behind the glove department? I read this somewhere..

Where exactly did you check? You do have a final stage resistor! See attached pictures.

It should be fairly easy to check this component with a multi meter once you find it.

• Advertisement

Where exactly did you check? You do have a final stage resistor! See attached pictures.

It should be fairly easy to check this component with a multi meter once you find it.

So is it the same as for cars with Air Conditioning though? I think I dislocated a few bones trying to look for it behind the centre console by leaning underneath the steering wheel..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Crosshair

Just done one on an E46 2000 1.9 last week, cant remember if it was manual or elec controls but it deffo located in the drivers foot well, remove lower dash panel (ie at top of the pedals) If there is one, its up to the left of the clutch pedal and is partially covered over by the recirc flap motor. It has a 5 wire connector plug, its easy to check if there is one but a bit trickier to replace, have a pdf somewhere containing instuctions will have a look later.

Crosshair wrote: »
    Just done one on an E46 2000 1.9 last week, cant remember if it was manual or elec controls but it deffo located in the drivers foot well, remove lower dash panel (ie at top of the pedals) If there is one, its up to the left of the clutch pedal and is partially covered over by the recirc flap motor. It has a 5 wire connector plug, its easy to check if there is one but a bit trickier to replace, have a pdf somewhere containing instuctions will have a look later.

Yep definitely checked there, only thing I saw had 3 Torx 20 screws and had a plastic "lever" type thing connected to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Devils advocate here, but might it be the switch itself?

Devils advocate here, but might it be the switch itself?

Doubt it.. if it was the switch, I don't think it would work on any setting.

Apparently, Setting 0 is "off" on the heater, whereas setting 4 is "on". The other settings (1-3) are set using the resistance of the FSR as far as I know. It does point to the FSR, but I can't find it :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Doubt it.. if it was the switch, I don't think it would work on any setting.

But surely inside the switch there's contacts between positions 1, 2, 3 and the common supply? Maybe they're damaged somehow?

When I do repair work on guitar electrics, there are similar switches on a smaller scale for selecting pickups. The switches can loose partial functionality, and still work perfectly in some positions.

I'm not saying it is the switch, but I'd rule everything out while I was at it.

But surely inside the switch there's contacts between positions 1, 2, 3 and the common supply? Maybe they're damaged somehow?

When I do repair work on guitar electrics, there are similar switches on a smaller scale for selecting pickups. The switches can loose partial functionality, and still work perfectly in some positions.

I'm not saying it is the switch, but I'd rule everything out while I was at it.

Just reading from other people's experiences, the switch has rarely if ever been the cause. Seeing I have the "common fault" replacement part, I will attempt this first.

Hmm think I might have been looking in the wrong place for the FSR. Could it possibly be located behind the carpet at the rear of the Centre Console? I would have to remove the carpet on the drivers side then also..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Crosshair

just looked up TIS and E46 heater resistor is located beside blower fan, this is accessed from under the bonnet, by removing the pollen filter cover , then the cowling , and then there is a removable bulkhead panel and this will allow access, dont have any way of extracting the docs to upload, any Q's shout!

just looked up TIS and E46 heater resistor is located beside blower fan, this is accessed from under the bonnet, by removing the pollen filter cover , then the cowling , and then there is a removable bulkhead panel and this will allow access, dont have any way of extracting the docs to upload, any Q's shout!

+1

I posted a picture showing the location further up in the thread!

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/77534/99134.gif

I would guess they've put it in there for heat sinking...

Great, thanks for that! Is it the same device that is located beside the footwell for most E46? (Final Stage Resistor - "Hedgehog")

If you get a chance, could you try to take some screenshots maybe through Print Screen?

THanks!

Great, thanks for that! Is it the same device that is located beside the footwell for most E46? (Final Stage Resistor - "Hedgehog")

If you get a chance, could you try to take some screenshots maybe through Print Screen?

THanks!

I've already posted screen shots from the TIS

I've already posted screen shots from the TIS

ah ok, I understand where that is now.. didn't know where to look when I first saw the pictures

Thanks

Advertisement