Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proceedure for getting file from old dr.

Options
  • 16-12-2009 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

Can any one point me in the direction of what is the procedure and protocol for getting your medical file moved from your old gp to your new gp?

The old gp was the family dr who has seen me from a child and I stopped attending him 12 years ago as I was unhappy but there are notes and results in what he has which I would prefer for my current gp to have.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

You need to sign a release form with the new surgery which then sends it to the old surgery. The receptionist there should be able to sort it out for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

In my case, I got the release form from my new GP, and then took it myself to my old GP who then gave me my records to take to the new one. What I found odd was that there was no attempt by my old GP to determine why I was moving my business elsewhere.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Alun wrote: »
    In my case, I got the release form from my new GP, and then took it myself to my old GP who then gave me my records to take to the new one. What I found odd was that there was no attempt by my old GP to determine why I was moving my business elsewhere.
    People change GP's all the time usually due to relocation. It's fairly standard to release and transfer records and TBH we (am a GP) try to do it as smoothly as possible.
    I usually wouldn't ask as I'd feel that was making it more akward for the patient (thats just my personal take on it though)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

RobFowl wrote: »
    People change GP's all the time usually due to relocation. It's fairly standard to release and transfer records and TBH we (am a GP) try to do it as smoothly as possible.
    I usually wouldn't ask as I'd feel that was making it more akward for the patient (thats just my personal take on it though)
    In my case it was from one GP to another in the same town, only a stone's throw away from their surgery. I don't know, I'd have thought that GP's, being business people as well as doctors at the end of the day, would want some feedback on why one of their customers was choosing to go elsewhere, that's all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement