Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pressurised system pump

Options
  • 16-12-2009 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

hi,

i am planning on putting the dhw cylinder in the converted attic space
    and using a pressurised system.
    i have heard the noise from the pump is a problem when doing this, can anyone tell me how
    bad this is and could it be housed in an insulated cabinet on a rubber mat to reduce the noise.
    also, could the toilets be gravity fed so as to reduce the amount the pump runs
    i.e. especially in the middle of the night...
    any info much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

A pressurised hot water system will run off your mains (see below) water and should therefore be silent.

Your toilet will be fed cold water either from your mains or from your cold water storage tank - as you are converting the attic I'll assume your taking that out therefore you'll be going with mains water so just take a feed from it before any pump you might have. You'll need to keep the cold water taps balanced.

If you have a situation where you need to fit a booster to the incoming mains you'll need a storage tank although it will be smaller than the existing tank. A piece of ply with a rubber mat under a multi stage pump and you shouldn't hear much apart from clicking.

Booster pumps are not like shower pumps which make a terrible noise. There are domestic submersible ones (300 euro) which will sit in the tank underwater which totally deadens any sound.

http://www.solarenergyireland.com/Information/pressurised_domestic_hot_and_cold_water.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

We've a pump on our water system that boosts the pressure to all the taps, power showers and toilets. It runs every time water is being used to refil the system. It is located in out attic (we've a bungalow) and the sound of it is noticeable but not annoying. I have it on a rubber mat on top of a piece of plywood but it doesn't do much to deaden the sound.

The downside to a pumped system imo, is that it can quickly identify weaknesses in your pipe network and cause leaks to spring up all over the shop if your plumber (LIKE MINE :mad:) doesn't do his job right. I'd be careful in using "push fit" fittings on a pressurisd network like yours as they tend to be the first to go. I've had to replace all accessible push fits on my system with standard nut and olive fittings for a more secure bond between pipes. I also have at least one major leak under the floor that I'll have to dig up the concrete to repair and I'm betting that its another push fit gone wrong.

Advertisement