Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Were you in a car accident near Heuston Station tonight(15.12.09)?

Options
  • 16-12-2009 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

Hi there

I was involved in a car accident tonight, close to Heuston Station. I was coming off the N4 on my way into town, and was very near to the Luas line at Heuston when I was hit from behind. I was the third car to be hit, a lady behind me hit me, who was hit by a guy, who had been hit by a younger guy again.

Well anyway, there was very little damage done to my car and I'mm not the claiming type, plus I was in a huge hurry to be somewhere. I spoke with all three other drivers and explained the situation, saying I was going to leave and that was fine.

However, after I left I was very sorry I didn't pass my details to the two guys involved in the accident. I just get a bad feeling the lady involved is going to go for the juggler in terms of a claim, and I don't feel that its deserved.

So basically, if either of those two guys involved in that accident tonight are on here, would you PM me, I want to give you my details in case you might need them. I feel really bad about not giving them to you before I left.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Hi OP, while I didn't see the accident I was around the area tonight.
    What time did this happen? I'm be pretty confident that area has CCTV, contact Dublin City Council.

Also, if I were you I'd call my insurance company and get your story on record.
    While that "lady" may not claim against you it's possible you'll get dragged into this in the next few weeks.
    So get your story together and tell your insurance company. You're supposed to report all accidents anyway to your insurance company so do it tomorrow morning.
    It's quite possible one of the other drivers is with your company. I know it'd be a coincidence but it could well happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

mikemac wrote: »
    Hi OP, while I didn't see the accident I was around the area tonight.
    What time did this happen? I'm be pretty confident that area has CCTV, contact Dublin City Council.

Also, if I were you I'd call my insurance company and get your story on record.
    While that "lady" may not claim against you it's possible you'll get dragged into this in the next few weeks.
    So get your story together and tell your insurance company.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

It happened at about 6pm.

I will call my insurance company tomorrow and let them know, thanks for the tip.

I know I probably shouldn't have left, but I hit no-one, wasn't going to claim and I really had to be somewhere.

She just struck me as funny, you know? Before I even had a chance to get out of my car she was out of hers, walking around, checking her car. Then all of a sudden her back was killing her! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

peanuthead wrote: »
    I will call my insurance company tomorrow and let them know, thanks for the tip.

It's better they hear it off you tomorrow then somebody else looking for a claim in a couple of weeks. ;)
    And if you read your booklet that you got at renewal time you're supposed to report all accidents, no matter how minor.

mikemac wrote: »
    It's better they hear it off you tomorrow then somebody else looking for a claim in a couple of weeks. ;)
    And if you read your booklet that you got at renewal time you're supposed to report all accidents, no matter how minor.

Yeah I never read those things, typical isn't it, I would never look at them things until I need them.

Well anyway, if either of them two guys, in particular the guy who hit the lady sees this, please PM and i'll pass on my number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

If there were a few cars involved i'd imagine the Gardai were called. Get onto them and they'll pass on your details to the other parties and vice-versa. just explain the situation. The details will be on the computer.

Not sure who cover's that area but i'm failry sure its kilmainham.

Called insurance company there this morning, she laughed when I told her I didn't stay and she told me to stay the next time if it ever happens again (which hopefully it won't)

Now, she said because I wasn't at fault, don't want to claim and didn't hit anyone in front of me, I'm to just forget about it unless I hear otherwise.

Does that sound okay to do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Called insurance company there this morning, she laughed when I told her I didn't stay and she told me to stay the next time if it ever happens again (which hopefully it won't)

Now, she said because I wasn't at fault, don't want to claim and didn't hit anyone in front of me, I'm to just forget about it unless I hear otherwise.

Does that sound okay to do so?

Did you get her name incase its brought up again later?
    If so your fine, she advised you on behalf of your insurance company to do nothing, so do nothing.

The-Game wrote: »
    Did you get her name incase its brought up again later?
    If so your fine, she advised you on behalf of your insurance company to do nothing, so do nothing.

No I didn't get her name. Do you think I should call back to confirm? Surely it's logged anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Well anyway, there was very little damage done to my car and I'mm not the claiming type, plus I was in a huge hurry to be somewhere. I spoke with all three other drivers and explained the situation, saying I was going to leave and that was fine.

IMO thats a crazy statement to make. I wonder if you would have the same opinion if you had reoccuring medical costs associated with the accident. BTW whiplash takes a few days to set in properly and can last years.

In your situation the other parties involved acted as a buffer to your vehicle as the energy dissipated as the cars behind you absorbed the inital force of the impact.

By the way you are legally required to remain at the scene of the accident for a considerable amount of time afterwards in order to deal with gardai, liability regards personal injury, material damage etc.

How do you know that one of the other parties involved didnt say you were responsible for the accident if you are not present to give your side of the story?

• Advertisement

IMO thats a crazy statement to make. I wonder if you would have the same opinion if you had reoccuring medical costs associated with the accident. BTW whiplash takes a few days to set in properly and can last years.

In your situation the other parties involved acted as a buffer to your vehicle as the energy dissipated as the cars behind you absorbed the inital force of the impact.

By the way you are legally required to remain at the scene of the accident for a considerable amount of time afterwards in order to deal with gardai, liability regards personal injury, material damage etc.

How do you know that one of the other parties involved didnt say you were responsible for the accident if you are not present to give your side of the story?

Yeah I realise that now, and thats why I contacted the insurance company. I know now that I shouldn't have left because anything could be said about me after I left.

I cant go back in time and not leave, so I contacted the insurance company and came on here for advice and to try find the guy instead.

Not to sound rude, but when you take the sentence "I'm not the claiming type" out of the context of the sentence and bold it up like that, I can see why you think it would be a crazy statement, but I think everyone knows what I mean by that.

But incase they don't I will say it out straight. I would never take advantage of being in a car accident and screw the person who hit me out of thousands if there was nothing wrong with me. I'm not that type of person.

I know what you mean about whiplash too, but there is NO WAY i could suffer from it given the force of this tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

No you're not. You're required to stay at the scene for a reasonable amount of time.

Since the op did not hit anyone and was not claiming I'd say leaving ASAP after speaking to the other parties was reasonable.

More information here, here and here.

Some more here and here.

Yeah I realise that now, and thats why I contacted the insurance company. I know now that I shouldn't have left because anything could be said about me after I left.

I cant go back in time and not leave, so I contacted the insurance company and came on here for advice and to try find the guy instead.

Not to sound rude, but when you take the sentence "I'm not the claiming type" out of the context of the sentence and bold it up like that, I can see why you think it would be a crazy statement, but I think everyone knows what I mean by that.

But incase they don't I will say it out straight. I would never take advantage of being in a car accident and screw the person who hit me out of thousands if there was nothing wrong with me. I'm not that type of person.

I know what you mean about whiplash too, but there is NO WAY i could suffer from it given the force of this tap.

The reason I put it in bold was because you implied in your 1st post that the lady immediately behind you was going to submit a undeserved claim!

"I just get a bad feeling the lady involved is going to go for the juggler in terms of a claim"

I wasnt there so I cant comment on the strength of the impact but how would you know how hard the impact was on her car? when you werent sitting inside it?

The reason I put it in bold was because you implied in your 1st post that the lady immediately behind you was going to submit a undeserved claim!

"I just get a bad feeling the lady involved is going to go for the juggler in terms of a claim"

I wasnt there so I cant comment on the strength of the impact but how would you know how hard the impact was on her car? when you werent sitting inside it?

I don't, you're completely right, and after thinking about it, although I didn't post it here, I had decided that I should give her the benefit of the doubt.

However, having said that, it does go on a lot, I know as my friend is going through the exact same thing at the moment. She was hit by someone who sent her into the back of someone else. That someone else (who has made 3 claims in as many years) is now taking out a huge personal claim against my friend.

So my reason for wanting to get in touch with the guy involved with that accident was so that if this woman was "the claiming type" that if this guy wanted to challenge her he would have my backing.

Again, you are right, I cannot judge whether or not her back was sore. But there was no panel damage done to her car and very little done to mine, and it was a BMW that hit her. So unless she had previous problems (which I don't know and for that reason am giving her the benefit of the doubt) there's no way she suffered injury from that TAP

Mena wrote: »
    No you're not. You're required to stay at the scene for a reasonable amount of time.

Since the op did not hit anyone and was not claiming I'd say leaving ASAP after speaking to the other parties was reasonable.

More information here, here and here.

Some more here and here.

Are you really going to nit pick over the choice of reasonable vs considerable?

Obviously an individual is hardly going to hangaround if all other parties have left the scene or there is only material damage caused the vehicles involved and no gardai have been called to the scene.

As opposed to some one hanging around for a reasonable amount of time after the initial accident, knowing that the gardai are on route and leaving anyway.

Advertisement