Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great eircom broadband swindle

Options
  • 15-12-2009 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi, My girlfriends mum wants to upgrade from shoddy 1mb broadband on eircom to something a bit better. I think she is on the talktime talker package for €52.

After browsing it seems to me she has been getting ripped off for the past few weeks. They want to stick with Eircom (set in their ways) but to me it seems they do 3mb broadband for the EXACT same price (or even €10 less for the first 3 months) if you upgrade to 3mb and talktime chatter. Why?! And for the life of me I can't figure out the difference between talktime chatter and talktime talker, except one is generally €5 more expensive.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is, and why anyone would still pay for 1mb broadband??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Hi, My girlfriends mum wants to upgrade from shoddy 1mb broadband on eircom to something a bit better. I think she is on the talktime talker package for €52.

After browsing it seems to me she has been getting ripped off for the past few weeks. They want to stick with Eircom (set in their ways) but to me it seems they do 3mb broadband for the EXACT same price (or even €10 less for the first 3 months) if you upgrade to 3mb and talktime chatter. Why?! And for the life of me I can't figure out the difference between talktime chatter and talktime talker, except one is generally €5 more expensive.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is, and why anyone would still pay for 1mb broadband??

Link: http://www.eircom.ie/cgi-bin/bvsm/bveircom/bladerunner/showContent.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0354762732.1260912601@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccjadejdjldigdcefeceiedffndffj.0&cid=BBComp&site=Res&chanId=-536889713&storeChanId=-536889713&clickIdAction=addClickID_gateway&clickIdTo=/bveircom/bladerunner/showContent.jsp&clickFrom=/bveircom/bladerunner/showContent.jsp&clickFromCID=BBComp&clickFromCategory=null

That link is not working, eircom are not the best on prices too be honest. Cannot belive they still charge line rental. Why can't people see that NTL is cheaper and faster *

*from what I have heard.. Downside, customer service is muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭electro-shocks

Talktime chatter = Unlimited local and national calls and 30 free any network mobile minutes for evenings and weekends only

Talktime talker = Unlimited local and national calls and 30 free any network mobile minutes anytime

3mb bb and talktime talker €56.99
    3mb bb and talktime chatter €51.99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

msg11 wrote: »
    That link is not working, eircom are not the best on prices too be honest. Cannot belive they still charge line rental. Why can't people see that NTL is cheaper and faster *

*and still not available in a lot of areas, even 5min walk from Leeson Street. Saddest thing is is that we have their digital tv package but are forced to get our broadband through eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

She could try a Vodafone bundle. Phone and broadband cheaper than eircom. Vodafone took over from BT Broadband. Don't talk to me about eircom.. I got an eircom landline last january thinkin I could try one of their bundles, but the line they put in won't support broadband. Not DSL enabled, meaning it's just a single line out of the dark ages. When I asked them about it they said the phone exchange hadn't been upgraded yet. So when?- I asked. It's not in the pipeline they said. Tried the dialup for a while but to stop me from topping myself eventually got an O2 usb modem and while it's not superfast it's better than anything eircom could offer me. Also, their line rental is extortionate. Stay well away I reckon.

jimi_t wrote: »
    *and still not available in a lot of areas, even 5min walk from Leeson Street. Saddest thing is is that we have their digital tv package but are forced to get our broadband through eircom.

Very true, That said they are rolling out there own fiber network from what I have seen around my way.

Johro. That is truely shocking too hear, I though Dial up was legacy stuff. Oh dear was I wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭SoulReaperDan1

Thankyou very much guys, yeah I always thought eircom and vodafone would be similar enough, but with vodafone I can get 7 mb broadband for cheaper than 3mb broadband on eircom (:confused:). The only drawback is free mobile calls are only to vodafone numbers but thats not that big a deal, I shall run this info by them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Johro. That is truely shocking too hear, I though Dial up was legacy stuff. Oh dear was I wrong.[/quote]What? Ya haven't tried dial-up? Ah you should. Brilliant!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Thankyou very much guys, yeah I always thought eircom and vodafone would be similar enough, but with vodafone I can get 7 mb broadband for cheaper than 3mb broadband on eircom (:confused:). The only drawback is free mobile calls are only to vodafone numbers but thats not that big a deal, I shall run this info by them ;)

have a read here first, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63532020#post63532020
    the grass is always greener, tbh at this stage i'd rather give eircom the extra few euro for peace of mind.

Johro wrote: »
    Johro. That is truely shocking too hear, I though Dial up was legacy stuff. Oh dear was I wrong.
    What? Ya haven't tried dial-up? Ah you should. Brilliant!:D[/QUOTE]

Nah, have this thing called always on broadband. Must be some sort of new technology.

Oh and from what I have heard about Vodafone, steer well clear.

Smart are good if your willing to pay the line rental. (Think there just about hanging in there)

Magnet, seem decent, with there contention free lines.

Without line rental, I would steer clear of anything "wireless", my own thing. Plus they havent even got the wired connects up too anything decent yet.

Or NTL, Which I recommed to a friend. Even though I am with smart.

Advertisement