Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Peanut Allergy People!!!!!

• 15-12-2009 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,

I'm allergic to peanuts and am hoping to open this thread where peanut allergy sufferers can discuss living with a peanut allergy and what impact (if any) it has on their daily lives or any affect it has on them when travelling to a country where english isn't spoken!

Any info from a peanut allergy sufferer would be interesting:
    for instance how many people bring around their epipen? Or how many have had to go to hospital over their allergy? Or how they cope when they order chinese food that has been cooked in peanut oil???

G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

No one allergic to peanuts in my family but I just want to say that I think this is a very good thread to post.

Hopefully those of us who have children that aren't allergic to peanuts can learn something and get an insight into what we can do to help minimise the risk of unintentionally exposing those with allergies to peanuts or foods that do not contain nuts but may have been processed in an environment where nuts may be present.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

GGPG wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm allergic to peanuts and am hoping to open this thread where peanut allergy sufferers can discuss living with a peanut allergy and what impact (if any) it has on their daily lives or any affect it has on them when travelling to a country where english isn't spoken!

Any info from a peanut allergy sufferer would be interesting:
    for instance how many people bring around their epipen? Or how many have had to go to hospital over their allergy? Or how they cope when they order chinese food that has been cooked in peanut oil???

G

I have a friend with a peanut allergy that never brought around her pen. Went to a chinese on holiday in Spain one night, and she tasted my chicken curry, and we promptly found out there were nuts in it :mad:
    Hence a rush to the nearest medical centre - now she carries her pen everywhere.
    Prior to this she was always extremely careful with everything she ate, and it was diagnosed at a young age, so she never actually remembered anything of what would happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

op, theres no need to start teh same trhead in lots of different fora.
    one will do!

i've locked the other one in this forum and the one in health sciences

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭aidan.connolly

Hi,

I am a parent of an child who suffers from allergies to Nuts, Peaches and Apples.

She was daignosed at the age of two and a half years old. She is now eight and is well aware of her condiition.
    By managing her allergies properly we keep her safe.
    Food - The ingredients of every food item she eats is, as much as we can, checked for any of the allergens. If there is any doubt, she is not given it.
    School - Her school has been very proactive with regards to her condition.
    Travel - Everywhere she travels to, she always two Anapens with her. She also has some in school. She always weras Medical Alert Jewellery which provides important medical information, in the event of any emergency.
    If we travel abroad, we carry translation cards that we can hand in to a Restaurant which explains her condition.

Her condition is manged and as a result of that she lives a normal life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Hi,

I am a parent of an child who suffers from allergies to Nuts, Peaches and Apples.

She was daignosed at the age of two and a half years old. She is now eight and is well aware of her condiition.
    By managing her allergies properly we keep her safe.
    Food - The ingredients of every food item she eats is, as much as we can, checked for any of the allergens. If there is any doubt, she is not given it.
    School - Her school has been very proactive with regards to her condition.
    Travel - Everywhere she travels to, she always two Anapens with her. She also has some in school. She always weras Medical Alert Jewellery which provides important medical information, in the event of any emergency.
    If we travel abroad, we carry translation cards that we can hand in to a Restaurant which explains her condition.

Her condition is manged and as a result of that she lives a normal life.
    And thats the way to do it!

A chronic condition does not control you, you control it and you manage yourself well.

I have treated a 14 year old who could have been 40 - he has a prawn allergy and he inadvertantly ate a sandwich which had prawns in it - immediately, his throat started tightening and he called the ambulance first and his mum second. He is probably the most mature teenager I ever treated.

I always have a long chat with someone after an allergic reaction to see if there is something they didn't know which triggered the event and what is preventable inherently. He was flawless and this was a true accident. I sent him home with an epipen (this is the most serious reaction he has had to date - normally he could work with antihistamines) and he never blinked when I explained how to use it - but actually asked a whole lot of technical questions.

Education is key with allergy - for you and those around you.

Aidan.connolly (daughter actually!) has a good website with information on this.

www.beallergyaware.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement