Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future in Pharmacy?

Options
  • 15-12-2009 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭

Is there actually any future in pharmacy?Thats a question id love to know the answer to:(

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Anthony16 wrote: »
    Is there actually any future in pharmacy?Thats a question id love to know the answer to:(

Certainly there is a future in Pharmacy. The numbers of GPs needed as our population ages- is not being met by our medical schools. A lot of the complaints people visit GPs with could potentially be just as easily addressed by a pharmacist (and often are at present). Once pharmacists figure how to put a financial price on what is in effect an extensive advisory service- and via this mechanism, generate an income stream less dependent on the whim of the Minister for Health and the HSE- they will have a greater independence, and greater security, than they have at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

Anthony16 wrote: »

It depends what you mean by a future.

A rich financial future, I doubt it.

A fulfilling career, probably but not as well paid as previously.

Harney, HSE and Dept of Health policy is for 1,000 pharmacies (ie 600 to close). Their way of doing this is to make smaller pharmacies un-viable so you would be better aiming at a career as an employee in a chain rather than looking to own your own pharmacy. Future uncertainty on drug prices (fuelled by Dept of Health statements) means that there is little stability with few employers willing to take on permanent staff. Many pharmacies are marginal now but when interest rates start going up again these will probably be pushed over the edge.
    They are talking about having pharmacists offer more services but doing sod all about allowing for some or for paying for any. Their hope is that the chains will offer these services for free as draw trying to bring in patients.

The trend by the chains to bring in eastern and southern European pharmacists (many who cannot speak English properly) and pay them less has driven down salaries but soon enough even they will not want to work in this depressed economy. There is massive over supply in the employee pharmacist market which I reckon will take about 5 years to correct itself. Emigration is already a trend with last years graduates.

So in short there is a future if this is the career you wish to follow. You won't make a fortune and you should avoid starving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

frodi wrote: »
    The trend by the chains to bring in eastern and southern European pharmacists (many who cannot speak English properly) and pay them less has driven down salaries but soon enough even they will not want to work in this depressed economy.

On this subject; yesterday I was talking to the first Polish pharmacist to register with the PSI after Poland joined the EU. He's finishing up work this Friday, and heading back to Poland on Sunday, after 6 years here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Mod note.
    I moved these to a new thread, as they had been tacked on to the end of the old 'Pharmacy Strike' thread and aren't strictly speaking connected.
    L-M.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Well there's a recruitment moratorium in hospitals so there's not even a start there, never mind a future. Community is downsizing. In my opinion most pharmacy grads will emigrate for the next few years.

• Advertisement

On this subject; yesterday I was talking to the first Polish pharmacist to register with the PSI after Poland joined the EU. He's finishing up work this Friday, and heading back to Poland on Sunday, after 6 years here.

I think that this might be the start of a new trend. With salaries falling here many of the EU pharmacists may feel that they are better off at home in a lower cost economy. Many are the young, free and single type who will have very few permanent ties with Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

frodi wrote: »
    I think that this might be the start of a new trend. With salaries falling here many of the EU pharmacists may feel that they are better off at home in a lower cost economy. Many are the young, free and single type who will have very few permanent ties with Ireland.

Man,thats depressing.Id like to do it for the course but jobwise,not so sure unless i had a good wage(not just earning enough to prevent starving).May aswell be on the dole,tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

I would re-hash the above. But I must say, it's always seemed like a very interesting and challening job to me. Hospital Pharmacy looks real interested, as you get the scope to deal with the patients, educate them, and review them. It's really progressive in the hospital I worked in anyway. Very clinically focused, and much more patient centered than community pharmacy.

I would re-hash the above. But I must say, it's always seemed like a very interesting and challening job to me. Hospital Pharmacy looks real interested, as you get the scope to deal with the patients, educate them, and review them. It's really progressive in the hospital I worked in anyway. Very clinically focused, and much more patient centered than community pharmacy.

If it's hospital pharmacy that you are interested in then you might as well book your flight now. There is not likely to any recruitment for Irish Hospitals for the foreseeable future.

Ya man id love to be a hospital pharmacist.Dream job,tbh but with the job outlook and pay in ireland so poor id say ill be heading to try and do med abroad.even then,id have to emigrate but only as far as the uk and with the option of returning someday.
    Why did they attack the pharmacists though?Seems very harsh.I think pharmers are well respected in the US and wouldnt be treated like they were/are here by Harney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

you could cure cancer here at the moment, and they'd still diss you. it's not about what you do. for you are just a number, an expense, an item within what is known in the business as a "Cost Centre".

I know man its real tough.i worked really hard to get into pharmacy,as im sure most of you have and obviously feel aggrieved.4th level education may be the way forward for pharmacy graduates in the coming years, to gloss up the cv i guess:D

Advertisement