Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

03 Opel Astra is drinking petrol!

Options
  • 15-12-2009 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Is this normal lads, anyone have one? It's the 1.4 petrol, the gf's car, she's only getting 260 miles out of a full tank, is that normal for this thing? I'd have expected way more tbh. She's driving it in a regular manner, I checked, my first thought was her driving style :D any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

is the car down on power, making any funny smells, or is the power delivery not as smooth as usual?
    Has the car been serviced recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Very often its the O2 sensor, has the car been through a NCT lately?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I presume you have checked the level of air in the tyres and the car has been serviced when it should have been?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Dodgy ECU also a possibility. Could be water damaged for example. Friend had this problem with his vectra. It was an absolute alcoholic until he got it fixed. Hopefully thats not the problem though as its not cheap to rectify but just to throw another possibility at you. Probably best to get it plugged into the diagnostics and no doubt you will end up doing so in the end I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭supersaint3

thanks for the replies lads, hasn't been serviced in a while anyway, tyre pressure is good, not down on power nor funny smells and the power delivery seems fine, it passed it's NCT a couple of weeks ago with no issues flagged? I think it'll have to be plugged in so :( it's costing us a bomb at the mo, maybe I'll get a service and run it past them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

What kind of driving does she do? If its used around town and not been serviced in a while then 260 miles isn't beyond the realms of possibility

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

thanks for the replies lads, hasn't been serviced in a while anyway, tyre pressure is good, not down on power nor funny smells and the power delivery seems fine, it passed it's NCT a couple of weeks ago with no issues flagged? I think it'll have to be plugged in so :( it's costing us a bomb at the mo, maybe I'll get a service and run it past them

Are we talking a couple of thousand miles or a couple of years over, some people go until the oil is sludge and the car is about to die before they service it, this usually increases fuel consumption as the engine seizes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

I have the same car and would usually only get that mileage unless I go on a long dualcarriageway run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭jaffa20

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    I have the same car and would usually only get that mileage unless I go on a long dualcarriageway run.

:O it's very bad mileage. I get close to 400 miles on a full tank out of my audi a3 1.6 and that's with city driving mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Heavy enough car with a small engine.
    Any signs of oil leaks etc? all hoses good?
    Is she carrying a load in the boot/ back seat?

Could be city driving combined with running elec accesories. heater or a/c radio, headlights etc. Can all add up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Is the Astra an auto by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭shane b

HI
    I would get the car checked out as there must be something wrong with those figures.
    My other half has a 1.4 astra njoy model and gets about 400 miles from a 50 litre tank of petrol depanding on her driving. A 1.4 engine should return between 40 to 45 miles per gallon which is about 9 miles per litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Peteemax

I had an astra 02 a few years ago with the same problem. 200 miles for a full tank. i never got it looked at traded it in after a few months.

Advertisement