Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little information needed.. ok, maybe a lot?

Options
  • 15-12-2009 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

First of all I would like to say hi to everyone and that I am new here and I apologize if this shouldn't be posted here but I honestly didn't see where else it could go; if any moderator feels it should be moved, well, just do :)

I will try to sum up a few things before asking for some help on doubts I have, just so that anyone who feels can help and has the time to reply understands why I'm asking.

Im not Irish, and nor have I coursed secondary education in the EU.
    I come from Uruguay, South America, I finished secondary school there a while back, Im 19 and I would like to go to college here in Ireland.

According to EU regulations even if I am a EU citizen (I hold Italian citizenship) since I have not been living here for the past 3 years, I have to apply as an international student (if anyone knows any information than differs to this, please post it).

I am currently trying to apply to a few colleges in Ireland, the first one I have tried is Trinity College; I have been told in the international office that Uruguay's secondary level education system do not meet the needs to apply to Trinity, and therefore I will probably not be able to apply. I havent applied to other colleges yet (as of the date this is posted) but I am planning to do so.

What I would like to know, is if anyone has any experience or knows of a website or information database/library/any place where I could find more information about this, and hopefully an alternative to somehow solve this (aptitude tests?). I have been told at the International Office something about a so called "Foundation Programme" which is useful in cases similar (or a bit similar) to mine. Unfortunately I have not been able to find information on such program in the net.

In conclusion; there is nothing more than I desire right now than to be able to study here, in Ireland, so if anyone knows ANY kind of information that could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

Probably you have this information already, but just in case:

http://www.icosirl.ie/
    http://www.ucd.ie/international/
    http://www.nuigalway.ie/international/

Don't be put off just because of what Trinity told you. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I know that the GMIT do a Foundation program for International Students (in the prospectus at www.GMIT.ie), so imagine other colleges must too. It would probably mean an extra year though...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 triloko

Hello again and Im sorry to bring this topic back again, but seeing as Im borderly desperate on the matter right now (not about Trinity itself but about the fact that I still haven't been able to apply to a University); I would like to know hypothetically, how possible (or normal so to say) would it be to ask for an interview with someone in charge of the International Students department (not only in Trinity but also in UCD and other universities) to ask for more help in the matter. Does this sound crazy? (As I've said before; Im not Irish, but I just need to find more information on the matter and I don't think it's an insane idea considering the huge investment of both time and money that it would undertake to study here as a non-eu student).

Thanks again and Im sorry to bring this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Hi, welcome!
    Firstly i want to say i do not know alot about international applications etc, but one thing you said in your post struck me and that was that you were told you couldnt apply to trinity as your secondary education in Urugay isnt of the same standard as Ireland, therefore your not eligable to apply... Well in Ireland anyone can apply to iuniversity.. trinity or any other, even if they have not got any secondary shcool education or have not completed any secondary school exmas,this is by applying as a ''mature student''. However you have to be 23 years old to apply this way. A mature student application is processed more on the basis of life experience and work experience rather than previous education or educational achievements.
    I realise that you are not 23 yet but i thought i would tell you about this anyway because if there are allowance's made for mature students, such as explained above, then im sure there are alternative application routes for a person in your situation too... so this should give you some hope!!!

There are also course called 'access courses' which most colleges do; these are basically preparatory courses for people who do not necessarially meet standard application requirments, so they do these courses to bring them up to the educational standard required for application. The access course for trinity is called Trinity Access Programme , or TAP, so if you search for that on google, or on the trinity website you should find plenty of information. Other colleges also procvide these access courses too so you should check their websites too for info..

Another way to get reliable information is to contact one of the application officers -they should be able to give you all the information you need. All contact details are on the different college websites. I have emailed these informatoin officers before and always got a very prompt reply with lots of information. If this doesnt work then call the college directly.
    All the colleges have open days for prospective students, so you could also try to get to one of these as they have lots of staff members and students there to answer any questions you have, they have lots of info, talks and booklets etc and i know you would definatley get some answers there!

Hope this has helped... and best of luck, i really hope your able to find a way to get on a course.

P.S- I dont know if you have your heart set on a university or would be willing to go to a community college? If so then there are hundreds of very good certified courses, such as FETAC courses, if you want more information on these type of courses then check this site out ;www.qualifax.ie, it has everything from 2 day courses to masters degrees so im sure you will find lots of useful info on that too...and if you do a FETAC couse and successfully complete it you can apply to a univertsity through that-most university's accept FETAC applicants

Advertisement