Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lady A M's reading log

Options
  • 15-12-2009 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

I've been meaning to do something like this for a while. I read whenever I get the chance and will read just about any style of writing. I'm looking forward to documenting my thoughts on the books I've read. I'm currently reading 'The Lovely Bones' by Alice Sebold. So will share my thoughts as soon as I am finished with it.

Any comments on my comments are welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Lady A M

A young girl is raped and murdered by a strange neighbour and the story reveals how her family and friends cope in the following weeks and years as Susie's looks down and follows them from heaven.

I found the idea of the book interesting and for about three-quarters of the read, I was captivated by it. However, I found that the way heaven was explained slightly confusing. I wasn't taken in by the parts were the action was happening in heaven and much prefered the stories relating to her family and her killer, Mr. Harvey. Mr. Harvey's upbringing and possible reasons for his crimes were touched on but felt they could have been explored more. I found the ending disappointing, especially the part where she is able to take over Ruth's body for a short time.

This did keep me entertained, though I was slightly annoyed with the ending. This is a debut novel I believe and if so, it's actually a good effort. The movie is out next year and think based on the book, will be worth a look.

Rating: 3/5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I loved this book when I read it a few years ago, thought the surviving sister's conflicted feelings for her sister really rang true. I've heard mixed review of the movie, tho, so don't hold your breath!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

I've just started reading this too but between work and having time for the book it's going to be a while until I finish it.

First impression is that it's very different for my regular reads, tbh I only tried the book because I was very curious as to why Peter Jackson was so keen to bring this to film.

So far I like it and if like me you have lost someone close some parts of it strikes a chord inside you.

Skipped through most of your comments in your second post Lady A M but seemed like you didn't really much enjoy the latter half, hopefully it'll not be the same for me.

Advertisement