Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Waiting for an assessor - what's normal

Options
  • 15-12-2009 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭

Had a bit of a skid on the ice yesterday (Monday) and through some skilled driving and fast thinking I managed to use the ditches on both sides of the road to bring me to a controlled stop facing the direction I was coming from.

Anyway the car was still drivable and managed to get it to a main dealer about 10 miles away. Service manager had a very quick look at it and it’s not too bad. Mainly a busted radiator / front grill / and broken spot – his rough guess about €1,000 and car back in about 2 days. – Not too bad I though to myself. I gave him to go ahead to do a proper check and order the radiator. I hired a car for 2 day.

Checked my insurance and my excess is only €300 so I decided I’d make a claim, fully comp and nobody else involved so no claims won’t be affected. (Have step-back protection anyway).

Rang insurance company and they said it will be 48 hours before the assessor will ring me. Then he‘ll arrange a date an time to go look at the car, which may be another few days and then I suppose there will be some bartering. Had to stop the garage from doing any work on car.

The thing is garage is closing down next Wednesday for Christmas and won’t be opening again till the 4th Jan. If I don’t get it moving soon I could be without a car for a till then. The policy doesn’t cover a car rental and I don’t want to be paying rental for 3 weeks because of them taking their time.

Any ideas? Can I hurry them on? Should I cut my losses and just cover the cost myself?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

For the sake of the €1000, I wouldn't sacrifice your no claims bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

rough figures:

Bumper €700
    Fog light €140
    Radiator €400

plus god knows what. get it assessed first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

You won't get it sorted before christmas I reckon.

I'm going through the same - though mine was declared a write off. My accident happened two weeks ago tomorrow and Insurers only came back with an offer today - it was ridiculously low so I challenged it, they will come back to me again tomorrow - then the cheque will need to be sent, then it will have to clear yadayadayada

P.S. your insurance will increase next year - you will have the same amount of NCB due to the step back protection but you will alos have an accident listed against you and so your premium will be loaded to reflect the risk.

It's not worth it for the €700 you hope to get (€1000 less excess)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

oops , also meant to say i changed insurance companies recently and the new took effect midnight on Sunday. They were none too pleased about that.

Advertisement