Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

OPEL Timing belt

Options
  • 15-12-2009 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

i just lost my timing belt and have been informed it might also have damaged the valves...it broke when i backed out of the driveway so it was short and quick. is there a history of this happening? ie, timing belt goes and so does the top end of the motor. this is a 93 astra wagon 2.0, im not sure it would be worth the cost to repair it if the bloody top end is damaged....any experiences with this?

thanks

Jimmy
    :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think it's time for a new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

New Engine rebuild for you.

Yes this is common.

What happens is when the timing belt goes the valves will crash into the pistons making a whole load of mess.

Some times you could be lucky with just replacing the timing belt (replace the water pump as well) and testing the compression ratio.

If you can afford a brand new car - trade yours in under the scrappage scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jimmybang

... i was afraid of that, although, now i can get a new car!!!:D

thanks for the responses, much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

loads of cheap Astra 1.7 diesels in the UK.

thanks but 1.7 is too small, im not a big diesel fan, and im in Finland:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

They have a bad habbit of doing that,The tensionor is made of rubber and isnt that strong so it throws the timing belt destroying the top end.So simple looking back is to buy a metal tensioner for 50 euro.

It happened to me and i had 16 bent/broken valves just took off the head sent it away for a skim and valves refitted and hay presto good as new with a metal tensioner this time.

Your options are limited really about 600-700 for rebuild or go to the scrap-yard and get a new head or scrap the car depending on financial circumstances

well... its just a worker car so i guess i'll just go buy something else.
    Rubber tensioner!....what were they thinking?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭icjzfmq7ewon1t

They have a bad habbit of doing that,The tensionor is made of rubber and isnt that strong so it throws the timing belt destroying the top end.So simple looking back is to buy a metal tensioner for 50 euro.

It happened to me and i had 16 bent/broken valves just took off the head sent it away for a skim and valves refitted and hay presto good as new with a metal tensioner this time.

Your options are limited really about 600-700 for rebuild or go to the scrap-yard and get a new head or scrap the car depending on financial circumstances

Sorry for hijacking the thread but you seem to know the astra would this rubber tensioner be fitted in the 00 astra.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

Yes it would as the 00 is the mk 4/Astra G and this was the main car that the problem occured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭icjzfmq7ewon1t

Yes it would as the 00 is the mk 4/Astra G and this was the main car that the problem occured.

Cheers for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Crosshair

Think you may be ok with new belt and tensioners, assuming the engine is 8 valve C20NE, i recall getting away with the same in an Omega of similar vintage with same engine years ago, Autodata also says this is a non interference engine. If its the C20xe 16v forget about it!!
    PS Quoted belt replacement time is 1.4 hrs.

Advertisement