Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

X-Type problem

Options
  • 15-12-2009 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

I have an '05 2.0D X-Type for almost a year now, no problems until last weekend. If I go over 70mph power dies and I have to restart the engine. (I apologise to the white van driver I had to cut across to get to the hard shoulder this morning on the M1). The glow plug starts flashing at the same time, but I believe this just signifies a fault being logged to the ECU.

The car was serviced last week and mechanic said it was idling a bit rough so he added some fuel treatment to the tank. Anyway I have car booked in for a diagnostics test this week, anyone have any theories on the problem? - (Hoping for somebody to put my mind at ease and tell me nothing major is wrong!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'm guessing it's fuel pump. maybe particle filter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The car was serviced last week and mechanic said it was idling a bit rough so he added some fuel treatment to the tank.

I hope you're joking :eek: A mechanic shouldn't believe that that fuel additive crap with cure a rough idle. Sounds like a MAF or any one of a number of problems. If you want to find out, unplug the MAF and if the car runs ok you've found your problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭beachlife

Hi there,
    What mileage is on the car? is it near 70,000 or 140,000? I have heard of the injectors losing there coding on these cars after 70,000 miles. not a big job to re-code them in. Just get a scan done on it to see if there is any fault codes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PCwiggum

beachlife wrote: »
    Hi there,
    What mileage is on the car? is it near 70,000 or 140,000? I have heard of the injectors losing there coding on these cars after 70,000 miles. not a big job to re-code them in. Just get a scan done on it to see if there is any fault codes:)

Its about 75k on it now,so hopefully its something simple like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

If you have a look on jaguarforum.co.uk, it seems to be a problem with a cam sensor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PCwiggum

I just found out that my 4 fuel injectors are "bollixed". I don't know yet if they can be repaired or need to be replaced. I was basically told that it was surprising the car was running at all. I don't pretend to know anything about fuel injectors or such like, but the car was running fine before the routine service and the problem only appeared about 2 days after I got the car back. Is it possible the fuel treatment could be the cause of the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭beachlife

Hi there,
    what garage are you using!! do they have the correct diagnostic computer for your car! I really don't think your injectors are gone..not all four at the same time.Do the have a high pressure tester ? these injectors are expensive and tests should be done to ensure that they really need to be replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Did the garage carry out a diesel leak back test....??

Advertisement