Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cheapest insurance for 18 year old?

Options
  • 15-12-2009 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    just passed my theory test and im looking for the cheapest car and insurer in Ireland for third party insurance, hopefully combining the 3 i'll get a decent quote!
    Cheers
    Michael

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Quinn direct.
    Noone else will insure you too easily.
    The cheapest car may not be the best car for you.
    Shop around. Fiesta, Micra, Corsa, Clio, Polo.

I'd recommend a Fiesta or Clio. Cheap as chips
    Good luck op!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭smythwicks

congo_90 wrote: »
    Quinn direct.
    Noone else will insure you too easily.
    The cheapest car may not be the best car for you.
    Shop around. Fiesta, Micra, Corsa, Clio, Polo.

I'd recommend a Fiesta or Clio. Cheap as chips
    Good luck op!

Cheers congo,
    always loved the look of a fiesta, I might be inclined to go down the van route to build up a years no claims and get my full license fingers crossed!

Also should mention im a male, only one downside tbh:P

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Your best bet is to ring around to as many insurers/brokers you can find, it's the only way you'll get the best deal. Do a search on this forum, one of these threads pops up every month or so, and the answers are always the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭gs300

Howdy, i have been looking around for myself (20, male) only difference is i have my full licence 7 months

i found that nononsense.ie was the best for me

I got a quoat of €1294 for a '08 1.4 leon

everywhere else was €2k+

all the best tho it's a killer when you see the prices they are giving

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

OP get a 1.0l car. That'll help a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

smythwicks,
    If you can. Find a car that also has tax and NCT still in date. These are better selling points and can be used as leverage on the price if they're expired!

@ gs300 :eek: Nice quote! is that in your own name? third party fire and theft?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭gs300

congo_90 wrote: »
    smythwicks,
    If you can. Find a car that also has tax and NCT still in date. These are better selling points and can be used as leverage on the price if they're expired!

@ gs300 :eek: Nice quote! is that in your own name? third party fire and theft?

Yeh it is in my name mam and dad are named drivers and it's fully comp,

had to do it a couple of time to make sure i was putting in the correct info ha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I found that a van was the only way to go when getting on the road. A 1.9 diesel Car van was much cheaper for me than even 1.0 litre polo or micra at the time and you do have that bit more comfort generally than a 1.0 litre car in cross country trecks. The car might be a better idea if you intend to do a lot of city driving or carrying more than one passenger. My inital car insurance was with Quinn Direct. Do bear in mind also OP that some other companies won't touch you in a carvan if you are a private driver if you intended to shop around for quotes come next renewal time. I believe that there is also a car insurance company which allows you to increase you excess considerably to reduce your premium. I can't find it immedaitely from a google search but they are based in Wexford as far as I recall. Do bear in mind though that you would want to be particularly careful behind the wheel if going down this route as you could be out a lot of loot if you do have a fault accident.

On the carvan if going down this route my best advice is to steer clear of Megavans and older Xsara's and consider corolla, caddy, almera, golfs depending on quotes your getting

Advertisement