Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drink Prices in Pubs

Options
  • 14-12-2009 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

Hello Everybody,

Can anybody please tell me what is stopping pubs reducing their prices, even further than the budget cuts, say especially during the week in order to boost their trade? :confused:

I am considering leasing a pub ( probably mad ) in the new year and am looking at possible ways to boost trade.

Thank for any suggestions you have to offer.

Regards,

Chevy RV
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Chevy RV wrote: »
    Hello Everybody,

Can anybody please tell me what is stopping pubs reducing their prices, even further than the budget cuts,.....

GREED

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

Chevy RV wrote: »
    Can anybody please tell me what is stopping pubs reducing their prices
    Confidence, that there is still enough fools out there to pay them any price they ask for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

Because they're waiting for someone else to do it first

Because they're unsure of what price to set it that will ensure greater turnover rather than just reduced profits - "will i get more people in drinking, how do i do that as cheaply as possible"

Because if they do reduce the cost significantly and get more people in they'll need to hire more staff, possibly bouncers too, costs go up perhaps to a level that would mean the price reduction leads to greater turnover but reduced or same profits

Because of a lack of imagination

Because it's easier to moan about things than do something

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

Some pubs are offering a value brand or a bargain price on midweek beers. A bunch of us recently went on a Recession Session pub crawl to check them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 HungarianHippo

Because unfortunately even at existing price levels most publicans still struggle to make a living (obviously there are many exceptions - but in general most smaller publicans have seen dramatic decreases in turnover in the past decade); high wage costs, crippling insurance and a drastic reduction in people's drinking habits make the prospect of lowering prices even harder to swallow.

There is also the perceived wisdom that being the pub with the lowest price for beer will bring in the lowest common denominator in terms of clientele. As the above poster pointed out if the policy of lowering prices worked a publican would have to bring in extra security who would no doubt expect to get paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Interesting idea. I think as mentioned lowering prices can mean extra staff etc.
    I've seen it done in a local here, price dropped by 30%, profits up 20%. Very busy for a while as punters were coming from all areas just for cheap booze. The draw wore off after a while though but it did generate good publicity etc.

I think alot of pubs out there think more along the lines of adding value to a night out, eg, bingo and quizzes on mid week nights. Which draws in the crowds but the prices can remain the same. Once people are in the pub, they tend to buy more than one drink so this method makes sense.

If I were to lease a pub right now I would probably go for a good value price all week and the added value angle during the quiet nights. I think this would be a solid strategy, especially for a new pub.

Good luck with it if you do go ahead! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

3:50 for guinness in my local. The again I am down the country..

Advertisement