Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to education and grants

Options
  • 14-12-2009 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Whats the story with the back to education allowance and the grants in the budget. I am in posession of both, will this affect me when I apply to get it next year or does it only apply to new applicants.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

From what I've seen so far the exact implementation details are still not decided. Due to that you'll find a lot of confusing and contradictory information out there. I'm led to believe that the Dept. of Education would like to leave current recipients of BETA and the grant with both but they're unwilling to confirm this right now.

I'm open to correction if someone has some more up to date information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

are we talking about the local authority grants or smaller grants like milennium etc? if its the local authority grants I'm screwed unless they have bugeted for me . It's not fair on new students. who's going to afford the reg fee? if TCD are losing funds they'll pass that straight onto the student body.
    €1500 will be cheap.

We're talking about the maintenance grant paid via the local authorities. The Budget included an announcement that BTEA recipients would no longer have an entitlement to it. The information I've seen thus far indicates that BTEA recipients will still have the €1500 (or whatever the HEA allow it to go up to next year) Registration Fee paid for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

thanks for that. I'll be keeping a close eye on it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

I heard the figure of 20% reduction in local authority maintaince grants? Any truth to this? I looked at the main pints of the Budget 2010 nothing about grants..... ?

• Advertisement

I heard the figure of 20% reduction in local authority maintaince grants? Any truth to this? I looked at the main pints of the Budget 2010 nothing about grants..... ?
    There'll be a 5% reduction in line with the other main welfare cuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 youngco

There'll be a 5% reduction in line with the other main welfare cuts.

Is this due to come into affect from september or will there be a 5% reduction on the second and third installments of this college years grants??

Im highly confused!!

youngco wrote: »
    Is this due to come into affect from september or will there be a 5% reduction on the second and third installments of this college years grants??
    The indications I've seen are that this reduction will apply from next month, reducing the remaining grant payments this college year. If you look at the costing summary for the Budget (here) it shows the same saving listed for 2010 as for a 'full year' which would confirm those indications.

Advertisement