Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welfare during college holidays?

Options
  • 14-12-2009 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi folks,
    I was wondering does anybody know for sure if its possible to claim welfare on college holiday periods?
    I have a friend who assures me as long as you are a mature student (I think you need to hold a grant too??) it is possible as long as you are available for work? He reckons 3 guys in his class do it and its all legit! I receive a basic grant already but surviving for the year is really tough going on 3K. I do some odd jobs when I get the time but my course is really intense.
    Sorry if this annoys anyone as I'm sure I'm luckier than most who have no grant at all but just wondering if anyone has done this or knows the facts? Would be a great help especially over the xmas period...

Thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭urban cowboy

I received social welfare last summer as I had been working previously to going to college. Apparently having paid stamps (or whatever its called now… prsi?) you are entitled to it for two years after you finish work, as it is money you contributed while at work. So say you finished work and decided to travel, came back, and had to sign on. You would be able to get it within two years of having finished work in this country. The same applies to someone in college.
    Jobs seekers allowance as far as I know you can still claim but is means tested. If you live at home with your parents the entitlements aren’t great.
    I too have the same grant as you and find the money saved during the summer an absolute necessity for getting through the college year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 liam62

Thanks UC that helps a bit. I'm still not sure about claiming over the Xmas holidays though seeing as I would still officially be within the college term. Not sure if it makes much of a difference. I also heard you can claim during the summer but hopefully I can find a decent job and save to make next year a bit easier...
    Guess I'll just have to drop down to the welfare office and see what they say about all this. Will post back and let you know what I find...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Mature students are eligible to apply for JSA during the summer holidays (not Christmas!) as long as they are available for work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 liam62

Thanks for the advice folks. Im guessing the people I heard of aren't being all that legitimate after all...

Advertisement