Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car wouldn't start

Options
  • 14-12-2009 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi,

My car wouldn't start this morning, i had someone help me jump it with leads, but it was not the battery. I was told it could be some dirt in the tank. Its a 2006 model. If this is the problem, does the dirt pass, or will i have this problem again?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

aoife34 wrote: »
    Hi,

My car wouldn't start this morning, i had someone help me jump it with leads, but it was not the battery. I was told it could be some dirt in the tank. Its a 2006 model. If this is the problem, does the dirt pass, or will i have this problem again?

Thanks

Did it eventually start, or is it still dead?

Might help if you can give us the make / model as well as the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭aoife34

It started after a while. Its running fine now, and starting fine. Just worried it will damage the engine if i don't get it cleared

Its a Peugeot 207 '06

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

What happened when you turned the key this morning?
    If the battery was truly flat nothing happens.
    Did you drive the car to work?
    Did it start again after work?

If there is dirt in the fuel tank you can change fuel filter but if you can drive the car it's not the filter (enough dirt will clog the filter up and car will just stop).

The OP scenario sounds to me like you left the lights on or something and the battery got drained.

It made a noise, but did not jump at all when i tried turning the key. With the model of car, the lights beep if i leave them on, so they were not left on, and i checked the light on the inside and that was off. The radio turns off automatically, so not that either.

I did run low on petrol last time, topped it up bout 3 days ago and has been fine.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Has it been starting fine since? Maybe the cold go to it a little? Does it get driven much? Check the sparks aswell jsut in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

This happened me before and I've heard of it with others, after you move the car a small distance. Had you moved the car a small distance in the last journey? Talking about just out of the the driveway to the road and stopping, something like that. I had it a few months ago, after moving the car from one parking space to another within short distance of each other. I came back to it a few hours later, no life. No response to being jumped, but in the morning it started no bother. I have 2 theories - either this might "confuse" the immobiliser for a period of time, or else the engine gets flooded with a rich petrol mixture.

yeah its starting fine now, i've been in and out a few times today and it feels fine. Just hope thats the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Keep an eye on it especially during a cold snap, if a battery
    is nearing the end of its life a sharp frost finishes them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Sounds like the cold weather just got to it, if its been lying up for a few days it might struggle, also do you turn everything on as soon as you get in before getting the engine running? Lights on, radio on etc as soon as keys in the ignition? Will strain the battery

Prenderb wrote: »
    This happened me before and I've heard of it with others, after you move the car a small distance. Had you moved the car a small distance in the last journey? Talking about just out of the the driveway to the road and stopping, something like that. I had it a few months ago, after moving the car from one parking space to another within short distance of each other. I came back to it a few hours later, no life. No response to being jumped, but in the morning it started no bother. I have 2 theories - either this might "confuse" the immobiliser for a period of time, or else the engine gets flooded with a rich petrol mixture.

This is exactly what happened, I moved the car from the drive to the road the night before. Thats so weird! Worked fine this morning.

• Advertisement
Advertisement