Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Hard-Drive Problem...

Options
  • 14-12-2009 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi all.

:confused::confused::confused:

My 500GB external hard-drive decided to give up on life recently. When plugged in it makes an awfully loud scratching sound. I've replaced the caddy but this has made no difference. I've got a lot of very important photos on this and would love to get them back. Does anyone know of a relatively cheap method of recovering my files? I've been quoted €800 from some crowd in Blanchardstown. I don't know where they got that figure from but I can assure you they won't be getting a penny from me.

Thanks for reading. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭YipYipU

Anyone???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Try taking out the hard drive and slaving it in a PC to see if it shows up.
    There is decent affordable software that can retrieve files if the drive shows up and ya cannot access it.
    But first of all see if it shows and let us know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Maximus_Laggus

That sounds like a mechanical failure of the spin point! It's like the needle of an old record player which spins across the disk to read it. If thats gone the drive is kaput. The info can be retreived but will be expensive, as you've discovered i'm afraid.

Advertisement