Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What type of Engine Oil do I need?

Options
  • 14-12-2009 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

I have a 2006 Passat 1.9 Tdi and the engine oil light has come on so I need to know what is the recommended oil i need to use to top up? Would someone in the likes of Halfords be able to tell me.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭patrickc

golfnuts wrote: »
    I have a 2006 Passat 1.9 Tdi and the engine oil light has come on so I need to know what is the recommended oil i need to use to top up? Would someone in the likes of Halfords be able to tell me.

Thanks in advance!

do not drive the car with the engine light on, there could be damage done already. and then go to castrol.com and check which oil is recommended.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/iframe.do?categoryId=9024084&contentId=7044829 link to oil required

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

Also do not trust what Halfords might say, or have printed in their advisory manuals....these are not maintained....I've learned my lesson the hard way :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Do you know what oil was used at the last service ? If you do use that, otherwise Castrol Edge 5w-30 is what I use in my TDI

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Depends on what service type your on.

Standard Service interval 5w40

Longlife Service interval 5w30

Also find out if you have a dpf and get oil to dpf standards if you have.

I would say just get some 5w30

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭golfnuts

Hey lads,

Thanks for all the info..in regards of Dpf dont know what that is? Sorry when it comes to cars i'm a dimwit unfortunately but i think the safest option is the 5w 30 for now...

'patrickc' its not the engine light that is on its the oil light and i need to drive to a halfords to get the oil i needed as its not walking distance from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Low oil is bad for the engine and turbo -depending on how low the oil is. If you car is saying "low oil -STOP". I wouldnt drive it at all, you could wreck the engine and/or turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

golfnuts wrote: »
    'patrickc' its not the engine light that is on its the oil light and i need to drive to a halfords to get the oil i needed as its not walking distance from me.

Get someone to bring you or go on the bus, we are doing you a favor, you can do really serious damage to an engine running low on oil.

Lift organised...cheers for the warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

If your Passat is still on extended service intervals (30,000 - 50,000km / 24 months).The oil spec you need is VW 506.01 oil.
    If your car is on standard service intervals (15,000km / 12 months) then the oil spec to use is VW505.01.
    These oils are especially for "Pumpe-Düse" (unit injector or "PD" engines) that are in Audis/VW/Skoda/Seat.
    The oil specs are on the side of the container.
    2 brands I know of:
    Castrol EDGE 5W-30
    Shell Helix Ultra VX 5W-30
    I think Halfords do their own brand oils that meet these specs.

Castrol EDGE 5W-30 inserted as recommended. The Halfords guy did recommend this one too...

Again cheers guys and happy safe motoring.

• Advertisement
Advertisement