Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sound of water flowing through pipes after starting Ford Focus

Options
  • 14-12-2009 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a 2002 Ford Focus (1.4l). Recently, after I start the car I can hear the sound of water flushing through pipes from under the bonnet. This sound disappears after a few minutes and the car is not handling any differently.

Is this a symptom of something serious or is it a natural occurrence?

Thanks,
    John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Some MINIs have this also, it's usually caused by an airlock in either the cooling, or aircon system.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

Could be head gasket - get it checked out ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

damoz wrote: »
    Could be head gasket - get it checked out ASAP.

Is there any checks I could perform before sending it to the garage? Would like to avoid any costs if I can.

As I said, the sound disappears after the car has warmed up. Temp gauge is in the middle, and the car is handling normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

Hard to say over a forum. Is the fan running after you turn off the car for longer than normal ? I did say could - as in worst case.

Most likely its something more minor, but still worth getting it checked out. Learned from a costly experience myself.

damoz wrote: »
    Hard to say over a forum. Is the fan running after you turn off the car for longer than normal ? I did say could - as in worst case.

Most likely its something more minor, but still worth getting it checked out. Learned from a costly experience myself.

No the fan is never on after I turn off the ignition, think it's only happened once since I got the car over a year ago.

Need to get the timing belt done soon so will get them to take a look when I get it done. Just wanted to check it out on here in case it was a serious problem.

Thanks for the reply

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭rohatch

Do you have Antifreeze in the coolant?

rohatch wrote: »
    Do you have Antifreeze in the coolant?

Yes, I did an "emergency" top up yesterday when I was hearing gurgling come the car driving on the M50. When I opened the bonnet I noticed that the screw cap for the coolant reservoir was loose, so I'm putting the gurgling down to that. I obviously hadn't tightened it enough the previous night when I checked the levels.

So in short, yeah there's coolant in there.

Another question for you; I noticed the power steering fluid is running low so I bought new stuff in Halfords. I asked a guy working there for my particular car and he gave me stuff which is red. It says its recommended for Fords but the current stuff in my car is blue. I'm assuming I cant mix these?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Check the power steering fluid specifications with your car's manual. Or if you don't have that just buy it at your local Ford dealer - it cost less for me. If you are regularly losing fluid you could be looking at a new steering rack :( (happened to me after hitting a kerb too hard)

Check the power steering fluid specifications with your car's manual. Or if you don't have that just buy it at your local Ford dealer - it cost less for me. If you are regularly losing fluid you could be looking at a new steering rack :( (happened to me after hitting a kerb too hard)

Yeah need to pop into Fords soon enough so will do it then. I doubt there's a leak or anything, the car is a 2002 and its probably never been topped up before. I know it hasnt in the last 2 years anyway.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

John_Mc wrote: »
    Yes, I did an "emergency" top up yesterday when I was hearing gurgling come the car driving on the M50. When I opened the bonnet I noticed that the screw cap for the coolant reservoir was loose, so I'm putting the gurgling down to that. I obviously hadn't tightened it enough the previous night when I checked the levels.

So in short, yeah there's coolant in there.

Another question for you; I noticed the power steering fluid is running low so I bought new stuff in Halfords. I asked a guy working there for my particular car and he gave me stuff which is red. It says its recommended for Fords but the current stuff in my car is blue. I'm assuming I cant mix these?

Theres a Leak somewhere, power steering fluid doesn't get burned like engine oil. Better off dropping it to a mechanic to have a look.

Last thing you want is a wrecked pump or worse a new steering rack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Common problem on Focus is a weep of power steering fluid from the pump, usually so little so that it won't be noticed other than the pump (externally) being a bit oily.

Top it up and watch it. I'd suspect the fluid loss will be really slow; in that case I wouldn't worry about it ... just top it up at each service.

Thanks lads, will keep a close eye on it. Will be doing a proper service on it over the christmas break. Oil, air and pollen filters, brake pads, wipers and a good proper clean :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

were you parked in a river after a heavy night out ..? Was this recently or during the recent floods? Hope im being helpful:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

A sheet of paper under the car overnight would should any oils leaking etc. It sounds like a leak of some discription (oil/air) to me.

Advertisement