Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Cards

Options
  • 14-12-2009 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭

Anyone else having trouble getting access to places that won't recognise their student card? The doors of the 24 hour computer room stopped recognising mine some time in the last couple of weeks. A few others seem to have the same problem, but not many. Should I get my card replaced? Where would one go to do that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I don't know, but usually if you pull/push the swipe doors hard enough they'll open anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Mine's been acting up too lately, it seems to only let me into the Hamilton after hours when it's feeling like it.

I know the student records office can replace them (for a €6 fee), presumably they'd know what's up anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

In my experience replacing the cards doesn't do much good. I've never known what it is but there are just periods of a few weeks where my student card won't let me in to the 24hr comp lab beside the BLU (now with the study room). Just knock to get in, most students have had the same problem I'd say so it's not like anyone will be annoyed at having to let you in. Alternatively, I've never had this problem with the prefab comp labs beside the Pav.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

One thing that works for me on some of the dodgy doors is to keep swiping the card up and down inside the reader.

But it's not a problem with your card. This is my sixth year here and it's been the same all the way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Craguls wrote: »
    the student records office can replace them (for a €6 fee)
    Not if it's actually defective. They can test them in the student record's office.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

YES!
    I thought I was the only one.. Mine hasnt worked for a few weeks now in the Berkeley or in the 24 hour computer. Fairly annoying tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I've been told by security in the past that there's a guy who looks after the system. I was suffering from similar issues back in August. Anyway, I was given an email address to contact which I can't find unfortunately. But there's nothing stopping anyone calling into the security centre in the IS services building (NOT aras an phiarsaigh, but beside the Beckett theatre and the Health centre) to report the issue there and asking what can be done about it. They may put you in contact with the right person.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 d-a-s-h

phlegms wrote: »
    YES!
    I thought I was the only one.. Mine hasnt worked for a few weeks now in the Berkeley or in the 24 hour computer. Fairly annoying tbh.

YAY!!! mine doesnt work in the Bereley too. I think its a fair conclusion to say that we must indeed be twins :D

Advertisement