Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best season so far? [** SPOILERS **]

Options
  • 14-12-2009 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭

Poll incoming

I bring this up because I cant decide between s2 and s4.
    Both were solid with great stories and twists.

Season3 was definitely the weakest of all. It had an interesting run but the final episode ruined it for me, the way in which the skinner was disposed of left way too many unanswered questions that were simply ignored.

Season1 was great of course but s2 and s4 were a step up in my eyes.

Which is your favourite season of Dexter? 41 votes

Season 1
    0% 0 votes
    Season 2
    65% 27 votes
    Season 3
    31% 13 votes
    Season 4
    2% 1 vote
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Season One. Every single episode was brilliant. The story was extremely dense and very well paced. A lot happened. Subplots (such as the story in "Love American Style" and "Return to Sender") were compelling and riveting.
    Doakes was brilliant, and Angel's character was developed quite well, too. The Ice Truck Killer was sublime. Everything about him was cool and totally psychotic. The endings were great -- especially the episode where the cops have arrested Neil Perry and Dexter visits him in jail, thinking he's the real Ice Truck Killer. The ending of the very next episode was also totally class. In addition, the cinematography, music and the kill scenes were outstanding and very well developed - much more so than in seasons 3 and 4. I recommend everyone rewatch season one over Christmas. It's going really cheap on amazon.co.uk at the moment. I think it's noticible how much the series has lost since then.

My next favourite season was 2, then 4, and lastly 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭shoveltooth

Season 4 was superb. After Season 3 I really didn't expect s4 to be very good but I stand happily corrected. Bring on season 5!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I'd have to say Season 1, although season 2 & 4 would be very close. We all know season 3 was the weak link, although I really did think Jimmy Smits was a great in season 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Season 1 was amazing. The moment I realised who the Ice Truck Killer was I nearly shat myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Season 1. The whole time it was someone in the background trying to play dexter like a puppet, and then a big reveal for the first massive story twists.

Every other season since then has been a case of knowing who the bad guy is, and just either will they find out, will dex's family find out, and how is dex going to kill this one. The twists are still there, but not as strong as season 1.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Season 1 was epic and so new, but I think season 2 was better in terms of suspense and plot. I watched them back to back as a newb just after season 2, and I thought that it was more gripping. Season 3 will get no serious votes, but season 4 was once again back up there with the epicness of the first 2.

So, what do people think was missing from series three?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

There was no real edge to it until about 7 or 8 episodes in. I really did not care about the Prado brothers, and I think the connection with Miguel is the missing element for me. Too much of the first half of the series was just same thing over and over again, with angry Raul, annoying Miguel, and the semi irrelevant seeming skinner thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

1 > 2 = 4 > 3

All brilliant though, as much as season 3 seemed a bit muddled, I didn't stop rushing to watch the next episode!

I'd forgotten how good the first one was. I keep thinking about how I wasn't really that into the introduction of the show and characters, but once the Ice Truck Killer storyline got going it was incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

just watched the last one. Im soooo shaken by it. really... how could the writers do that to us.

its the only good show out there . I hope to see it again soon.

born in blood.... jasus. thats was rough....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Furet wrote: »
    So, what do people think was missing from series three?

Choppy pace, it switched from being thrilling to moving at a snail's pace half the time. There was a lot of filler, as if the plot was being stretched out, a lack of a good antagonist. Miguel was decent, but the skinner was just weak. Nothing to compare to Dexter's "playmate" in the first, or the constant overbearing pressure from Doakes and Lundy in season 2. Arthur Mitchell is a big step up from Miguel, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

I'm having a very difficult time deciding between 1 and 4 (though I think 4 is gaining extra points at the moment because it's so fresh in my mind) but I had to vote 1 in the end, as indeed, every single episode in it was brilliant. And it's probably the only season that I would watch every single episode in the original order again (which I'll probably do to keep me going until season 5 :)).

I think when trying to decide what the best season is, you have to look at the things that annoyed you about each one rather than the things that enthralled you.

Season Four, to me, had some unbelievably great moments. Consider: Lundy's death (total shock); the cat and mouse game with Zoey Kruger; the Jonathan Farrow kill scene; Debra's emotional breakdown in front of Dexter in episode 5; the "Hi Dad" scene; Thanksgiving with the Mitchells; Trinity's bold entry into the homicide department; Arthur's death; and Dexter finding Rita dead.
    These scenes, in my opinion, compare favourably with many from seasons one and two, and certainly best anything that season three had to offer. But I can't overlook a few major flaws in the fourth season either:

* Angel and LaGuerta's relationship. This was contrived solely to give these characters something to do. It didn't impinge one iota on the overall story. Certain scenes (such as the department's budget scene in "Road Kill") were worse than pointless.

* The entire episode "Road Kill" was a let down. Trinity and Dexter just barging into the Japanese family's home was unrealistic. It could have been handled with far more subtlety to greater effect. Dexter's actions immediately prior to Arthur's suicide attempt were also very ill-considered from a writing point of view.

* Quinn started tailing Dexter in "Slack Tide", and then just gave up totally. In fact the entire subplot of tension between these two felt somewhat forced. The concept is good, but it was poorly delivered in my opinion.

* Elliot. That whole plot just wasn't thought through clearly. The kiss came from nowhere.

Now I'm not saying that these things ruined season four for me, because ultimately they didn't. The good parts were just too damn good for that to happen. But I honestly can't think of any similar let downs in seasons one and two, and for that reason, overall, they trump season four for me, brilliant though it was in places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭FedEx

Krieg wrote: »
    Poll incoming

I bring this up because I cant decide between s2 and s4.
    Both were solid with great stories and twists.

Season3 was definitely the weakest of all. It had an interesting run but the final episode ruined it for me, the way in which the skinner was disposed of left way too many unanswered questions that were simply ignored.

Season1 was great of course but s2 and s4 were a step up in my eyes.

Agreed , for me Season 2 just shades it ... season 4 fantastic ending ...

season 3 did suffer a little at the end ... but was great at the beginning
    when Jimmy Smiths (forget the onscreen char. name - Miquel?) was sussing out Dex...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

"Hi...Dad"
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

Quite almost defecated.

4=1>2>3

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Big failure of Season 3 was killing Miguel in the penultimate episode, the finale was a bit of a non-event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Season 1, followed by 4, then 3, then 2

Dexter is at its best when he's got a solid rival to go up against, and I feel that Doakes has easily been the best so far.
    "pardon my tits" from season 2 (can't remember her name) was by far the worst, but at the same time the most satisfying when she was finally dispatched... I guess the Lundy angle saved S2, but I'm not in a rush to watch it again

Advertisement