Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Söll Conditions Early Jan???

Options
  • 14-12-2009 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Anyone have any experience of Soll at this time??I am heading there on the 30th Dec till the 6th Jan.
    I have been told that the conditions there are hit and miss at this time?
    Anyone have any insight?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

They currently have snow and it's very cold (down to maybe -20C) so can makes loads of snow also. Having looked at the webcams around there they haven't too much cover at valley level but as I say the pistes should be in good knick, so don't worry unless you're a freerider but you wouldn't be posting the question if you were.

So don't worry it will be fine, they only require 5 to 10cm of snow to ski in this part of Austria.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Shane_O

Cool,its my first time going on a winter sports holiday so just didnt want it to be crap conditions.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Yeah i think thats the biggest worry for everyone going on a ski holiday. I usually use this snow history tool to give me an idea if im interested in a resort:

http://www.igluski.com/snow-history

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

It's really cold at the moment over Austria, so even if there isn't much snow - the snow cannons should be working fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭glanman

I learnt to ski here too. The beginner slopes when I was there were pretty low down, that was feb and by the end of the week when we were higher up we could see that there wasn't much snow. They do have cannons though and also plow some down if i recall correctly.

Night life in Soll is cracking! Bars, then club which is a bit dingy but fun, and then the late night bar that opens around 2 and closes around 6 or later:) was great for us beginning as it wasn't too trying the next day.

Enjoy, you won't look back after the first trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

You will be fine - the SkiWelt is massive so they will take you over the the Scheffau bowl if the snow is a bit dodgy round Soll. You are only learning so will spend most of the week on the same slope learning and trying to stay standing!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

Flikflak sums it up well, for expert sliders snow depths are a much bigger issue as without lots of snow you can't ride powder. A resort like Soll and nearly everywhere now has amazing snow making so as long as it's cold the pistes are topped up with fresh artificial snow all the time. The only problem would be if there was a really warm spell and everything melted but unlikely now as there already is a good base formed. I've skied both St Anton and Val Gardena at New Year with grass to my left and right on the lower slopes but perfect piste conditions, so stop worrying, what's certain is there will be snow and it will be white!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Shane_O

sweeeeet:D

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

Ill just miss you,we get there on 9th jan for a week and from what ive heard/read of Soll its a class resort with plenty to do so dont worry,im not,just cant wait to get out there at this stage...been watching the webcams and reading snow reports and it looks promising

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Psydeshow

Hey OP going to be in Soll the week time as your good self, been keeping an eye on this webcam.
    Startin to fall pretty regular there now so should be fun times. Now all I have to do is get through half a week of work and christmas.

See ya on the slopes (or in the bars)

Advertisement