Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else have essays due tomorrow?

Options
  • 14-12-2009 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭

Got one in for 3pm tomorrow...

I'd say I can hit 1,000 posts by then.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Yup, have yet to start it. Having said that, I did exactly this for the essays due in after reading week and just about managed to get them in..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

I've one page of notes, and then a list of Kings and their years of reign as my first paragraph...

I'm gonna hazard a guess at a first.

I've one page of notes, and then a list of Kings and their years of reign as my first paragraph...

I'm gonna hazard a guess at a first.

Which module are you writing it for? I'm doing the medieval Ireland A one myself.

If you have as little work done for it as myself, I guess I'll be seeing you in the Berkley tomorrow bright and early :pac:

I'm doing Medieval Britain, and yes, you certainly will, rocking back and forward clutching a coffee...

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭quirkster

Ive 800 words to go. Due tomorrow. I dont know what the hell Im talking about

• Advertisement

1800 to go... :(

1800 to go... :(

Thats more than I've done..I'm still in the planning phase.
    At this stage I'd rather just take the 20% hit for the module rather than wreck myself staying up all night trying to write an essay on a topic I clearly know nothing about..

phlegms wrote: »
    Thats more than I've done..I'm still in the planning phase.
    At this stage I'd rather just take the 20% hit for the module rather than wreck myself staying up all night trying to write an essay on a topic I clearly know nothing about..

You clearly don't realise that you're allowed go 10% under or over the word count. i.e this essay's actually only 1800 words.

You clearly don't realise that you're allowed go 10% under or over the word count. i.e this essay's actually only 1800 words.

Awesome, that means I have 200 words done already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭lil*lady

Yup. Just about finished, hurrah.
    You can do it.
    Get some caffeine in ya and bob's your uncle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

phlegms wrote: »
    Awesome, that means I have 200 words done already!

Love it.

Worst. Essay. Ever.

192280-comic_book_guy_13018_large.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭username4321

Hey guys i have my essay more or less done It's only 1500 words. But i do not know how to add sources!!
    Is there a place I can go for help with essay writing?
    It's due tomorrow at 11.

You should have gotten a big course handout at the a start that had a chapter about essay writing, but I'll tell you anyway. It's like this:

Footnote:

Surname, First Name Initial, Full title of book, (City of Publication, Year of Publication), p. page number.

so:

Reid, Norman H., Scotland in the Reign of Alexander III 1249 - 1286, (Edinburgh, 1990), pp. 74- 78.

pp. is for multiple pages, and you put (ed.) after the author's name for an editor. If you use the same book twice in a row, put Ibid., then the page number.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on any of this...

Hi thanks for the reply, i transferred late in the year so missed out on the handbooks but I looked up the tcd website there and got the handout.

One question though, what if your source is an online source? How do you reference that? Is it acceptable to give a url? Or is that completely not okay?

Got it handed in with minutes to spare. Didnt even get to proof read it so I'm almost certain the majority of it doesn't make any sense..

Hi thanks for the reply, i transferred late in the year so missed out on the handbooks but I looked up the tcd website there and got the handout.

One question though, what if your source is an online source? How do you reference that? Is it acceptable to give a url? Or is that completely not okay?

JStor I think you still give the author and title of the article, I'd generally try to avoid using online sources...

Thanks a million for your replies.
    Just one more question haha..
    What is the average length of a bibliography for a JF 1500 word essay?
    I have seven sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

That's just about acceptable. I was told in JF Psychology that 8-10 was considered a minimum.

If you want a decent guide to proper referencing (APA style), look here: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/

Oh, and if it's a book or article you just happened to read online, treat it like a print article. If it's a uniquely online source, then cite it as such. (You give the URL and the date it was retrieved.)

Advertisement