Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Godparents...

Options
  • 14-12-2009 12:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭

Godparents...ok no baby yet BUT is it possible to have two godfathers? We're very modern so wouldn't have a problem but would the Church or does it depend on the priest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭cch

Remember reading before, not sure where(!), that you have to have at least one of each. So two godfathers and one godmother would be ok.
    But definitely check with the priest beforehand.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'm one of two godfathers to my niece.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

my god-daughter has two god-fathers, so i cant see it being a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

my god daughter has two godmothers so shouldnt be a prob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Orlaithc9

My daughter has two god fathers...there was no problem at all with the priest...
    It was quite funny at the Christening though...the two God fathers sat behind us and when the priest called all the God Mothers to the front of the church there was a stale-mate between my brother and partners brother lol..everyone looked around waiting for one of them to stand up..but nothing ...after what seemed like an age my brother shouted out "Im ok with my sexuality" cut my partners brother a cheeky look and went to stand with all the beautifully dressed ladies...

It was quite a funny Christening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

Are godmothers/godfathers required? I know most people have them. I only gave a thought to this recently, and don't know what to do!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

hacked wrote: »
    Are godmothers/godfathers required?

Only if you're having a christening.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

Khannie wrote: »
    Only if you're having a christening.

I'm evangelical...so im having a dedication. It's basically the same thing, dedicating baby to God, only we save the baptism part as a personal choice for the child when it's older. Does anyone know if Godparents are required for these types of ceremonies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Not required but it's nice to appoint babies with witnesses for the dedications. I've been to loads of dedications, they're beautiful events.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

My niece has two godmothers and two godfathers, so four godparents, which i think is a bit much and a bit selfish, it takes the good out of it I think.

But each to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

For a catholic christening/baptism, do the chosen godparents have to be catholic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

For a catholic christening/baptism, do the chosen godparents have to be catholic?

I reckon that's the point as they're supposed to help guide them spiritually... but I wasn't asked if the godparents were catholic... both were though...

Advertisement