Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

console repair

Options
  • 13-12-2009 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has anyone experiance with repairing old consoles.

I have an atari and a NES that just wont turn on. Im not great with circut boards or anything, so just wondering if anyone would be able to take a look and see if it can be fixed. Or if there is a place that can fix them.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,587 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Did you try new power supplies? If they're not turning on it might be something as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Yeah i bought a new PSU for the atari and still not working, although its hard to tell if its on in the first place, lol. But im pretty sure its fecked.

Ive tried the new psu for the nes and the one i had for it, still nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭cynos

test your nes power supplies with a multimeter as I've never seen a nes not power at all its 99% of the time the dc lead on the power supply beside the psu its self the cable breaks inside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭defenderdude

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Yeah i bought a new PSU for the atari and still not working, although its hard to tell if its on in the first place, lol. But im pretty sure its fecked.

Ive tried the new psu for the nes and the one i had for it, still nothing.

As suggested - get a multimeter to check voltages etc.

Regarding the Atari - I've had probably a dozen or more of the 2600 types and in more than half, I had to reflow the solder joints at the power-in point on the circuit board which had become "dry" over time. Once I did that; they fired up into life. Really simple fix.

Worth opening up and having a look... you can nearly "see the problem".

On an aside - was up in the attic getting the xmas decorations - saw a few nice oldies - boxed 16 and 48K speccies, Oric-1, 2600 Jr's, 2600 6-switch woody boxed etc. Gonna take em down this weekend and have some fun (and take some pics/ post here);)

Yeah i cracked it open, not sure what to be looking at, the power input socket looks to be a little black.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭defenderdude

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Yeah i cracked it open, not sure what to be looking at, the power input socket looks to be a little black.

Any chance you can get a pic or two of it?

Any chance you can get a pic or two of it?

Yeah no prob mate, have them up in the moring.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bildo

Open, resolder everywhere you see solder and whatever doesn't look right is the problem.
    There's nothing to old consoles really

Advertisement