Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can you go public for antenatel care and then get a semi-private room?

Options
  • 13-12-2009 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

wonder if anybody does this or if it is even possible. We have just found out we are pregnant with first and have spent the day researching our options. have Hibernian insurance but looks like with semi-private in Coombe we will pay at least €750 fee plus €100 for every scan. Not sure if we have to pay anaesthesist fee etc or not. We can claim €150 of this back from Hibernian!! and 20% tax relief. so still paying over €500. So can I opt to go private and hence not pay any of these fees and then when I am due, ask for a semi-private room which Hibernian will pick up the tab for?
    any experience welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

No it's not possible... even if you go private and pay full fee's you are not gaurunteed a private room, you may even be put on a public ward.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It can happen

I had my baby in the Rotunda a few weeks back. I'm a public patient but after the delivery I was put in a private room due to lack of beds in the public wards

Just luck of the draw really. I have to say though I was in a public ward with my first and I really missed the craic of having all the other mums around, its not the same when there are just a three of you in a room.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭cch

eviltwin wrote: »
    It can happen

... but it can't be arranged beforehand.
    See this recent thread - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055743433

Advertisement