Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two games in UK this year

Options
  • 13-12-2009 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭

Alistair Kirkwood, NFL UK, just confirmed two NFL games in UK next year, one of which will be interdivisional. You'd have to think one might be the Browns with Randy Lerner and Aston Villa. He said one will be in Wembley, would prefer other one not to be but thinks in the end both will be. Games likely to be confirmed in January

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

:rolleyes:

Better not be the Colts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Two things:

1. The schedule is set for this year and there won't be any more games in the UK.

2. The Browns are bad (very bad) but they won't be paired with Aston Villa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

The two are confirmed, the schedule is confirmed, the venures are not. This season we got Tampa Bay cos of the Glazers and United, don't think it's a stretch to think that it'll be the Browns cos Lerner owns Villa. As for Villa vs Browns, at least the Browns might win that one (you'd have some doubts though!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Would be great if one of the games was in Edinburgh. Doubt if one of the teams would be happy to give up a home game to go to Scotland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

jdivision wrote: »
    The two are confirmed, the schedule is confirmed, the venures are not. This season we got Tampa Bay cos of the Glazers and United, don't think it's a stretch to think that it'll be the Browns cos Lerner owns Villa

The Bucs were also a playoff contender last season not the worst team in the NFL that they are now. As a result they had a certain amount of appeal to fans in Europe. If the Browns come they will be one of the three or four worst teams in the league from the previous year which wouldnt do much to sell tickets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Gisty

I hope both are in London. Simply because it's easier to get to London, and I have free accomodation there

Realistically, only game outside of London will be Old Trafford or Millennium Park because they're 75k plus

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Gisty

I just have to laugh at the guys in the Sky studio even entertaining the thought of a franchise in Europe. Absolute stupidity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Gisty wrote: »
    I just have to laugh at the guys in the Sky studio even entertaining the thought of a franchise in Europe. Absolute stupidity

Would be terrible as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭TheHeadhunter

What about a game in Croker (Dan Rooney connection?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,953 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The only team that I could imagine would agree to having a divisional home game abroad is Jacksonville. This is going to cause a lot of controversy.

Croke Park'll be a while, they'll want to see how Navy game goes in 2012 I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

Is 2 games really a good thing? Might split the crowd & may not sell as well. Not everyone could afford 2 games with the way things are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

bobby wade wrote: »
    Is 2 games really a good thing? Might split the crowd & may not sell as well. Not everyone could afford 2 games with the way things are
    I still think the aggregate demand would be enough to carry 2 games, especially if 1 is a 49er game with the large fanbase they have over here. Tickets for the games still sell out very quickly so I dont see why they wouldn't try to bring in more revenue

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Gisty wrote: »

If it was that stupid the NFL commish would dismiss it every time he's asked abnout it. Something which he hasn't been willing to fo. I don't thinkit'd work, but its obvious the NFL are at least exploring it as an option

As for the teams, look for teams with aging stadiums, or teams looking to force a move and/or stadium rebuild

You can obviously rule out the 6 teams who played here and Buffalo. Maybe even the teams that Buffalo played in Toronto

My guess is the Vikings is one team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Dodge wrote: »
    If it was that stupid the NFL commish would dismiss it every time he's asked abnout it. Something which he hasn't been willing to fo. I don't thinkit'd work, but its obvious the NFL are at least exploring it as an option

As for the teams, look for teams with aging stadiums, or teams looking to force a move and/or stadium rebuild

You can obviously rule out the 6 teams who played here and Buffalo. Maybe even the teams that Buffalo played in Toronto

My guess is the Vikings is one team

the problem is all the teams that want to move aren't very good so won't pull a big crowd. Rams, Raiders, bill and Jags are the main teams I've seen linked with a move to LA. The Jags are the only have watchable team. If Eagle eye is right on jacksonville though a Jags and colts match would easily sell out over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

eagle eye wrote: »
    The only team that I could imagine would agree to having a divisional home game abroad is Jacksonville. This is going to cause a lot of controversy.

Yeah I am very surprised any team would be willing to give up a home divsional game.

Sky guys seem to think the 49ers and Ravens are going be the teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

I wonder if the fact that we played in Mexico against the Cardinals a few years back counts us out. It might have been a road game but still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

Sea Devils wrote: »
    I wonder if the fact that we played in Mexico against the Cardinals a few years back counts us out. It might have been a road game but still.

I wish i could remember the reason Sky gave, but they seemed to think it was going to be SanFran over next year anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Sky guys seem to think the 49ers and Ravens are going be the teams.

Hopefully that would be incredible!!! Can't see myself getting over to Baltimore any time soon...

• Advertisement

cooker3 wrote: »
    Yeah I am very surprised any team would be willing to give up a home divsional game.

Its not a divisional game. Its an intra conference game (say afc west team v afc east team)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Bring the Packers in as an away team. Do it. :cool:

According to the BBC & Allister Kirkwood they already have two teams who have coceptually agreed to be the "home" teams. They are just sorting opponents.

BBC - UK Will host two NFL games in 2010

I'd say the "home" team will be any team that has had difficulty selling out its home stadium. the Jaguars, Lions, Raiders, and Cardinals. 49ers also because of large fan base.

According to the BBC & Allister Kirkwood they already have two teams who have coceptually agreed to be the "home" teams. They are just sorting opponents.

BBC - UK Will host two NFL games in 2010

I'd say the "home" team will be any team that has had difficulty selling out its home stadium. the Jaguars, Lions, Raiders, and Cardinals. 49ers also because of large fan base.

If the away teams have to agree to it (and aren't just made travel 1'000's of miles for 1 game on a bad surface), then it won't be the Colts.
    No way will Polian let the season be disrupted like that.

davyjose wrote: »
    If the away teams have to agree to it (and aren't just made travel 1'000's of miles for 1 game on a bad surface), then it won't be the Colts.
    No way will Polian let the season be disrupted like that.

Its going to be the colts sooner or later. All clubs agreed to play overseas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Dodge wrote: »
    Its going to be the colts sooner or later. All clubs agreed to play overseas

All the GMs and Owners know its a good way to broaden fan base. I agree with Dodge the Colts will eventually make the trip at some point. Sure before last season some Pats fans were adamant the Pats would never do it also.

Fair enough, although the point could be made that New England chose the perfect time to do it. After failing to make the Play-offs, not yet sure about brady's health, and going through a period of transition Defensively. I wouldn't be surprised if BB knew that the Pats wouldn't be strong this year, and decided to get it out of the way before they become (maybe) a powerhouse again.

My point is that i don't see the Colts as one of the two strongest teams in the league taking it on next year. I suspect Polian will anticipate a lull in the Colts fortunes in a few years and go for it then. That's what i think NE did.

Lets be honest, the Pats aren't as good as they were in those couple of games before coming back from England (shades of '07). Coincidence? Maybe. But maybe not.

Would love to see 49ers v Raiders but doubt they would take that game away from the bay area. Would love to see the Raiders period, but somehow doubt Al Davis has any interest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

jdivision wrote: »
    Croke Park'll be a while, they'll want to see how Navy game goes in 2012 I suspect.

Is there going to be a college ball game in 2012?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Is there going to be a college ball game in 2012?

Yup Notre Dame Vs. Navy in Dublin. Venue to be decided. Both the New Lansdowne and Croker are the options. The NCAA and reps from both colleges looked at both stadiums.

Advertisement