Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stupid cisco router: cannot access cisco router

Options
  • 13-12-2009 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭

I tried logging on to my router using nokia E51, itouch, laptop wireless and wired using the 192.168.1.1 and damned if it will let me. I had to turn off the router and try again to get access. All the time I had internet access on all devices.

I was checking my speeds on 10mg throughout the day and it varies from 2 to 9 depending on time of day. That made me wonder if I have a unknown "guest" on my router. I have enable WPA2-PSK but had to use the UPC SSID and password as the stupid thing refused to accept any changes.

What should I change on these screens to lock it down better.

Also, I set a PS3 in to the DMZ and decided to remove this but what IP do you put in to remove the DMZ, it will not accept no IP address.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Damien360 wrote: »
    I tried logging on to my router using nokia E51, itouch, laptop wireless and wired using the 192.168.1.1 and damned if it will let me. I had to turn off the router and try again to get access. All the time I had internet access on all devices.

I was checking my speeds on 10mg throughout the day and it varies from 2 to 9 depending on time of day. That made me wonder if I have a unknown "guest" on my router. I have enable WPA2-PSK but had to use the UPC SSID and password as the stupid thing refused to accept any changes.

What should I change on these screens to lock it down better.

Also, I set a PS3 in to the DMZ and decided to remove this but what IP do you put in to remove the DMZ, it will not accept no IP address.

Who is the provider? If its varying from 2-9, at different times during the day, I would put it down to contention on the line.

BTW 10MEGS is what they say, and there is a always a big difference from what they say vs the actul throughput of the line.

As for locking down the router you mean securing it?

>Firewall On
    >WEP/WPA Key for wireless signals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭Damien360

msg11 wrote: »
    Who is the provider? If its varying from 2-9, at different times during the day, I would put it down to contention on the line.

BTW 10MEGS is what they say, and there is a always a big difference from what they say vs the actul throughput of the line.

As for locking down the router you mean securing it?

>Firewall On
    >WEP/WPA Key for wireless signals.

2 to 9 is a very big swing. provider is UPC.

Have a look at the screendumps above, the firewall settings are silly. What is the best way to secure it properly. I also have everything on WPA2-PSK wireless but I have tested it directly connected by ethernet cable.

Is the UPC router open to getting hacked on wireless like the eircom ones were. Bear in mind I have a IT student living next door with his parents. Nobody else in neighbourhood would have the capability as far as I know. I figured it may be him on my network when the speed drops and I cannot connect to the router at all but still have internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

This is UPC's combined cable modem and router ?
    I haven't seen one in the flesh as it were, so I dont know if you can configure the wifi security. I'd hope, with a product from Cisco, that you would.

You might try looking for a program called AirSnare. I had it off a magazine coverdisc a few years ago. It can tell you if an unauthorized PC accesses your router

Advertisement