Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geminids tonight !

Options
  • 13-12-2009 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭

5 nice bright meteors in 10 mins. Apparently peaking tonight.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

what time and which direction should i look

You can listen to Meteorites go by on this site.
    http://wowzaweb.streamguys.com/~spaceweather/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

I went outside about 1 1/2 -2 hours ago and again a few minutes ago. Both times i seen 2 shooting stars. Was it them meteors or is there a reason there were so many shooting stars??
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭purplestar1986

Dusty87 wrote: »
    I went outside about 1 1/2 -2 hours ago and again a few minutes ago. Both times i seen 2 shooting stars. Was it them meteors or is there a reason there were so many shooting stars??
    Thanks

They would be meteors. Seen anymore since?

No, was out a few minutes ago and didnt see any that time.
    They were all in the south, south east direction. I think anyway, in a new place and still not sure of N,S,E,W yet:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭purplestar1986

Dusty87 wrote: »
    No, was out a few minutes ago and didnt see any that time.
    They were all in the south, south east direction. I think anyway, in a new place and still not sure of N,S,E,W yet:p

I had to work that out last night, just used "sun rises in the east and sets in the west" and kind of figured it out that way lol

I had to work that out last night, just used "sun rises in the east and sets in the west" and kind of figured it out that way lol

How i worked it out was i was trying to put up a free to air satallite the other day and it has to be pointed SE:p. Actually think the meteors were more east direction. Pretty cool, didnt even last a second. When i seen the first one in the corner of my eye i didnt know what it was. Minute or two later i seen the second and realised i wasnt going mad:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Saw a lot in the S.E. last night. Beautiful clear clear night. A couple lasted 2-3 seconds with streaks too:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Wow, what a night for watching the sky.

I was driving for 6 hours this evening and lost count of how many meteors/shooting stars I saw.

Magical.

I'm in Co. Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Seen several tnite, all areas of sky. Especially travelling towards the plough from almost directly overhead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 krobo

Jake1 wrote: »
    You can listen to Meteorites go by on this site.
    http://wowzaweb.streamguys.com/~spaceweather/

Thanks for this! i must say though, only been listening for about 3 minutes and ive heard about 15 echos. wish i was there to see that! :rolleyes:

No fun for me with the Geminids tonight, the clouds remembered that i wanted to see the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Will there still be some to see tonight? If the clouds clear over that is.

krobo wrote: »
    Thanks for this! i must say though, only been listening for about 3 minutes and ive heard about 15 echos. wish i was there to see that! :rolleyes:

No fun for me with the Geminids tonight, the clouds remembered that i wanted to see the sky.

Good site isnt it, for a bit of fun ? :)

I was the same as yourself, saw nothing last night, quite cloudy, and I was trying to look in between the clouds.
    I was in and out like a fiddlers elbow all night, looking at the bloody sky, my family, are ready to have me commited :)

Funny thing tho, I was on stellarium again last night and saw none on there either .:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Jake1 wrote: »
    Good site isnt it, for a bit of fun ? :)

I was the same as yourself, saw nothing last night, quite cloudy, and I was trying to look in between the clouds.
    I was in and out like a fiddlers elbow all night, looking at the bloody sky, my family, are ready to have me commited :)

Funny thing tho, I was on stellarium again last night and saw none on there either .:confused:

LoL , its catching Jake >>>>>>>

fifilarue has been taking away by the men in white coats :P
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63489634&postcount=54

Stargate wrote: »
    LoL , its catching Jake >>>>>>>

fifilarue has been taking away by the men in white coats :P
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63489634&postcount=54

ha ha hilarious! :) Im not quite that hardcore that Id get up at 4.50 am to see them..

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

Saw one this morning on my way into work. Going through Newlands Cross on the NAAS Rd going towards Citywest at 07:30. Big enough tail and a bright flash. My reaction was WOW cooool superman has arrived at last.

neonman wrote: »
    Saw one this morning on my way into work. Going through Newlands Cross on the NAAS Rd going towards Citywest at 07:30. Big enough tail and a bright flash. My reaction was WOW cooool superman has arrived at last.

neonman , keep your eyes on the skies i mean road :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

10 in 10 minutes for me last night. Very impressive indeed!

Will tonights shower be somewhat similar , in that it would start and finish around same times as last night? Would it be worth getting up at 5.00am

I seen them and it was no where near 5am:eek:

• Advertisement

tricky D wrote: »
    10 in 10 minutes for me last night. Very impressive indeed!

What time was that at tricky D ?

Advertisement