Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good samaritan legislation

Options
  • 13-12-2009 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, please move if not appropriate

Could anyone tell me what is happening with regard to good samaritan legislation for both doctors/nurses etc and members of the public who assist in first aid situations? Specifically the obligations to assist (if any) and liability for any injuries caused in assisting.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

I hold MPS insurance which covers me in the unlikely event someone sues me for doing such a good deed.

All doctors who are signed up for medical indemnity are all automatically covered for good samaritan acts.

Someone has to be a very begrudging individual if they sue you though for doing an emergency act to save limb or life.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Sitric

Thanks,

I think this was one of the things the law reform commission were looking at in 2005? and was wondering if there had been any development.

For example, are doctors obliged to assist if there is personal risk? (This is the case in some european countries and you can be prosecuted if you fail to help even in cases where you are in personal danger)

As far as I know we didn´t have any legislation covering good samaritan acts and this was raised as a private members bill in the dail, don´t know if we do now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

neither do i actually, and i was thinking about it only recently after I stopped at an accident on the road. Luckily, the people involved turned out ok, and it was little more than a keeping them calm, and brief check over as the ambo arrived about 5 mins after I stopped.

I've wondered about the situation on planes too, as the last 3 flights I've been on they've asked for a doc or a nurse to come forward.

Advertisement