Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Battery?

Options
  • 13-12-2009 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks, apologies if this is basic and has been asked 100 times before. I forum searched 'car battery' and got a bit of a mish mash of threads, some of which I read.

In the last week my car hasn't started 4 times. It has started immediately with a jump each time. It makes the coughing noise but just isn't catching a charge. Is it safe for me to assume that I need to replace the battery and don't neet to get my mechanic to check alternator/starter etc.? The car is a 2002 MX5 and I don't think the battery has ever been replaced.
    Are there any other hints/tips that I could follow to assess if it is the battery?

Also, can I replace it with any type of battery (e.g. from Halfords etc.) or does it have to be a Mazda MX5 one (priced a Mazda one online for €120 including p&p on MX5parts.co.uk, Halfords generic ones are between €89 and €139)?

pardon my motor ignorance and thanks for any replies ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

A basic multimeter will tell you if your battery is past
    its best, Halfords would be grand for a battery plus they
    come with 3 or 4year warranty on them. Cheaper than
    going near a main dealer for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

In the last week my car hasn't started 4 times. It has started immediately with a jump each time. It makes the coughing noise but just isn't catching a charge. Is it safe for me to assume that I need to replace the battery and don't neet to get my mechanic to check alternator/starter etc.? The car is a 2002 MX5 and I don't think the battery has ever been replaced.
    Are there any other hints/tips that I could follow to assess if it is the battery?

Also, can I replace it with any type of battery (e.g. from Halfords etc.) or does it have to be a Mazda MX5 one (priced a Mazda one online for €120 including p&p on MX5parts.co.uk, Halfords generic ones are between €89 and €139)?

pardon my motor ignorance and thanks for any replies ;)
    I'd say the cheapest way to diagnose it is to change the battery and see if that sorts it.

They come in slightly different shapes and sizes depending on the power demands of the car, and the size of the bracket in the car. Bigger engines need a bigger current for the starter, so generally use bigger batteries with more cells. Here's halfords recommendation (I'm assuming you've got the 1.6).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

I'd say the cheapest way to diagnose it is to change the battery and see if that sorts it.

They come in slightly different shapes and sizes depending on the power demands of the car, and the size of the bracket in the car. Bigger engines need a bigger current for the starter, so generally use bigger batteries with more cells. Here's halfords recommendation (I'm assuming you've got the 1.6).

great. thanks for the Halfords link, I was on their website but didn't know I could key in make/model. yes I have the 1.6. Some reasonable prices there, I'll head up to them tomorrow, thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

Muckie wrote: »
    A basic multimeter will tell you if your battery is past
    its best, Halfords would be grand for a battery plus they
    come with 3 or 4year warranty on them. Cheaper than
    going near a main dealer for this.

what's a multimeter? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Will halfords come out and fit it for you.. i only live a few minutes fro there store but have no way of getting up there unless i push the car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

what's a multimeter? :o

Its a meter that can test power in cars and house electricity and resistance in circuits.

A simple way to check an alternator is start the engine and switch on headlights, heater fan, heated rear window and put the multimeter on the volts scale and see what you're getting on the battery terminals. If its less than about 13 volts, then it could be dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

oppiuy wrote: »
    Will halfords come out and fit it for you.. i only live a few minutes fro there store but have no way of getting up there unless i push the car
    Given that they charge about €8 to fit them, I'd be disappointed if they weren't prepared to venture a little past the car park. Disappointed mind, not surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,994 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I'd say the cheapest way to diagnose it is to change the battery and see if that sorts it

+1

With a battery that old it is most likely the problem. No point paying someone to find out for sure, you might as well have it replaced. Get your car jumpstarted again, drive to Halfords and let the lads replace it on the spot. Oh yeah, ring them first to check if they have the battery in stock!!!

Advertisement