Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Djs Who Dont Produce Their Own Music....Your Opinion

Options
  • 13-12-2009 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Just wondering what everyone thinks of djs who release music but have some shiit hot engineer doing it for them.

I have to admit it took away some of the respect and admiration I had for certain artists when I found out they dont do it themselves.

Examples being:
    Loco Dice uses Martin Buttrich
    Sasha uses Charlie May
    Fergie uses Reset Robot
    John Digweed uses Nick Muir
    Timo Maas now uses Santos formerly used Martin Buttrich.

The reality of it and Ive seen them admit it in interviews that if they didnt have their engineer they wouldnt have been able to make the tracks.

Im sure there are acts in Ireland doing it to.Im pretty certain John O Callaghan hs done alot of stuff for certain artists from what Ive heard.

Interested to hear what everyone thinks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

It's fairly shocking alright... Out of the hard house* scene, I can hardly think of one recent big name who doesn't use either Paul Maddox, Dom Sweeten or Dave Owens to engineer their tunes.

I'm not knocking using engineers, in fact I'd love to use one of the above purely as a learning experience, but for someone who has been releasing tunes for years on end, you'd think that they would have figured out how to do it by themselves by now.

*I know I know... Just save it for another thread guys...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

its not surprising at all, these people spend their entire time travelling and gigging, so when are they gonna have time to produce, never, so they get an idea, phone a producer with a sample to use, style, a no mate needs more cowbell.
    he puts it together, they download and listen, give it a yes , no , tweak this, why is there a cowbell on it, and extend the breakdown, producer does it, they say change the kick and put the sample thru effectrix for some glitch edits. Done. Master it, play it out, get your famous friends to plug it, and remix it. get some t-pain auto tune on it for the US market. Do an interview with future musicunable to answer their tech questions but soak up all the credit cause it was your idea, its the same as pop stars having a "writing " partner. no credit, no groupies but normally a nice crisp check.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

Stephan Bodzin produces Thomas Schumachers tracks I believe

Also there is a rumour going round that Dubfire does the same with some other unknown producer

As for my opinion on the subject, im not really sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

Buttrich produced practically all of '7 Dunham Place' for Dice. Then he left Desolat...so will be interesting to see what Dice's next LP will be like.......7 Dunham Place, great album though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Personally my respect stayed the same when I found out about some people in my record case. Its one thing to make a tune while quite another to play them. I suppose it goes back to an old thread here of is a DJ an artist or not. Your opinion on this would probably be based on what you believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dubsbhoy

Unless you have a degree, would you not need an engineer to polish it off/master it ?

I seeing thom yorke been interviewed the other night and he said his studio man is the 5th member of the band.........he adds the magic at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

dubsbhoy wrote: »
    Unless you have a degree, would you not need an engineer to polish it off/master it ?

I seeing thom yorke been interviewed the other night and he said his studio man is the 5th member of the band.........he adds the magic at the end.

Someone mastering the track is completely different, there is no creative input simply a process that optimises the existing audio for release.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

haha, wonder how many mix engineers and mastering engineers have degrees?
    feck all actually.
    totally different ball game. nigel godrich producing radiohead's albums with them is a world away from the type of 'silent-producing' bullsh1t that goes on in dance music.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I didn't realise just how much this actually goes on until fairly recently.

I can't remember exactly, but I heard that one of the very very big tunes this summer (could have been Michael Clies - Le Mezekla or something similar) was bought by the DJ off a random producer for a few grand, he released it under his own name and it went huge. I think its a shame the original artist does not get the credit for producing such a good track.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hesho

Was it Tocadisco or something that released that "walking away" tune around 06. Anyway David Guetta stuck his pants vocal over it and then it went massive but all the productions credits (and dosh i'd imagine) went to Guetta and none to Tocadisco. Madness!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭nonsense42

Hesho wrote: »
    Was it Tocadisco or something that released that "walking away" tune around 06. Anyway David Guetta stuck his pants vocal over it and then it went massive but all the productions credits (and dosh i'd imagine) went to Guetta and none to Tocadisco. Madness!

Wasnt Walking Away originally a track by "The Egg" and they didnt want to release the remix but obviusly were told how much money they'd make so they would be the ones making all the profit now and not Guetta/Tocadisco.

Thats a different situation though cos Guetta was really a remix of a remix.

And while we're on the topic of that tosser he uses a guy called Joachim Gaurrad for his productions.

Advertisement