Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Would appreciate feedback please

Options
  • 13-12-2009 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi

I just wanted to see if anyone can give me some advice

When someone is arrested for Drink Driving, shouldn't they be put off the road, or are there some circumstances that could prevent this from happening.

I am asking as there was a situation whereby an arresting officer of a person they pulled over for drink driving. The officer, whilst in the court mentioned to the person that they may get off on technicality. They also said the case would not be pushed and they would talk well of the arrested person. The police officer also told the arrested that they could ring them if they wanted. Surely all of this is not normal procedure.

Has anyone else heard of this situation before?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Wrong forum

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Not sure where to put this so moving to Motors. Mods, bounce it back if you don't think it's appropriate there.

Moved from Forums forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

What exactly are you asking OP, a little vague you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

If you're asking can a person who was arrested for drink driving get off with just a fine and no loss of license, then yes they can.

My neighbor was followed home recently by the Guards after a night of drinking, he/she was absolutely pissed and was swerving all over the road on a very perilous road in the locality. They followed him/her right back to the house in my estate and arrested them as they got out of the car.

In court, the person in question could not be charged with drink driving as the humidity in the breathalyser room in the Garda station was not at suitable levels to justify the reading, which was many times over the limit. The driver was charged with dangerous driving instead and was given a €500 fine.
    They did no loose their license either, because apparently he/she lives in a "rural area" and would have no means of transportation. In my "rural area" there are over 5000 people and we live 3 miles from a town with 35,000 people.

Absolute bulls*it, this person is an embarrassment to my estate and the community and should be hung from the nearest lamppost. I drive that road several times a day and if they had killed someone I knew, i swear to god I don't know what i'd do...

I understand their needs to be lines drawn and technicalities set out but that took the p*ss...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I think if they are found guilty of DD they will loose their license, minimum is 6 months (?). But getting off on a technicality probably means the whole case will be thrown out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

OP, did the case you are asking about happen in the State?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 27 M-wav

I was once in court for possession of a tiny bit of cannabis while at the electric picnic. WHile i was waiting to be heard there were around 3 drink driving cases.

The first person got 200 fine,

Second person got 2 black marks (affecting travel etc) but did not pay a fine

Third person said she had no money so judge asked what was in her pocket, she pulled out a tenner and her said to give that. And that was that!

Now for myself, i got slated along with around 50 others who were in the court charged for cannabis possession at the electric picnic.

I got a fine of 500euro.

So drink drink driving can kill, and smoking cannabis does not.

How was this fair?

Advertisement