Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Change of ownership when previous owner has died

Options
  • 13-12-2009 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

Hi, i'm just looking for some information on what sort of forms I need to transfer ownership of a car to another person after the original owner has died?

Basically, a relative of mine died and I am getting his car, but we cannot find the registration book. Does anyone have any knowledge of how I would go about transferring ownership?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Use this form

http://www.dublincity.ie/SiteCollectionDocuments/replacement_documents_application_form_RF134.pdf

Have it completed by a Garda member. You should bring the death certificate with you and you must be the next of kin.

Otherwise a Next of Kin must take ownership and then transfer it to you.

It will cost €12 to replace the document from Shannon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

could you not just send off the form with no signature or an indecipherable squiggle?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

corktina wrote: »
    could you not just send off the form with no signature or an indecipherable squiggle?

That's document fraud and illegal. Can come back on you quite badly.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

You can also get something signed by a peace commissioner. Same applies if you are applying for missing registration documents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I was in a similar position recently.

Phone Shannon and they will post you out a Statutory Declaration. You need to get a garage to stamp it and a commissioner for oaths to witness it, but all in it's a relatively straighforward process.

A copy of the Declaration is attached.

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »

/M

Its only fraud if you are de-frauding someone..if its genuinely your car how can it be fraud?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Marlow wrote: »

/M

The previous owner is hardly going to complain are they?

It's the simplest solution and nobody is Shannon is going to care either way.

Stekelly wrote: »
    The previous owner is hardly going to complain are they?

It's the simplest solution and nobody is Shannon is going to care either way.

my point in a nutshell....not that id EVER do anything like that....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

corktina wrote: »
    my point in a nutshell....not that id EVER do anything like that....
    *Corktina browses death notices in his area* :D

Not your ornery onager

this is CORK buddy,,they ALL do that here,,,,first thing they look at is the HATCH MATCH AND DESPATCH in the Examiner like...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Berty wrote: »
    Use this form

http://www.dublincity.ie/SiteCollectionDocuments/replacement_documents_application_form_RF134.pdf

Have it completed by a Garda member. You should bring the death certificate with you and you must be the next of kin.

Otherwise a Next of Kin must take ownership and then transfer it to you.

It will cost €12 to replace the document from Shannon.

Before the OP goes down this route, a word of warning: it won't work. It's wrong in nearly every way.

Next of kin has no authority to distribute the estate of the deceased. Only the Executor can do that, assuming the deceased did not die intestate, otherwise the administrator if they did.

When getting the Statutory Declaration witnessed it is necessary to show a copy of the Will. There is a standard €10 charge for witnessing Oaths, and Shannon do not charge anything when the SD is used.

Advertisement