Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Steering lock suggestions

Options
  • 12-12-2009 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

Any good ones out there?

Do they actually prevent thieves taking the car or are they more of a deterrent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Does your car have an immobiliser? If it does they'll probably need the keys to steal the car anyway so it'll be a bit pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Does your car have an immobiliser? If it does they'll probably need the keys to steal the car anyway so it'll be a bit pointless.

nope, its a 20 year old car :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

a decent chain with padlock would be my advice

Tigger wrote: »
    a decent chain with padlock would be my advice

a bit messy no? And what advantage would it have over a wheel lock?

well for one i never saw something like this to do a decent chain

http://www.clubbuster.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

these are the job:

steering-wheel-lock-1.jpg

Bulky enough when not in use though.

the puller i linked to would work on that too

chain is the best

although the disk loc looks libke a good visual deterent

the puller i linked to would work on that too

chain is the best

although the disk loc looks libke a good visual deterent

Surely with a chain though all you need is one of these:

bolt-cutter.gif

depends on the chain

good chain would need a big cutter with lond arms and there wouldn't be a leverage point in a car

anyway its not an argument if you want advice from the experts ask the cops crime unit they'll know

depends on the chain

good chain would need a big cutter with lond arms and there wouldn't be a leverage point in a car

anyway its not an argument if you want advice from the experts ask the cops crime unit they'll know

who's arguing?

Also i'd prefer to not ask the "Cops crime unit" if that's ok.

I'm just looking for suggestions. Thanks for the recommendation for the chain though. I'll have a think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

All they are are visual deterrents.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 drs1

in my opinion the big wheel lock shown above is the best style, its very hard to get round and im pretty sure its thatcham approved which means it has being tested by an accredited company on security devices.( only think i dont like about these locks is there big and bulky lying around the car or boot when not in use.. prob me just being fussy though)
    the draw back i feel to all these big chains and good padlocks is the saying its only as strong as its weekest link..
    ive seen quite a few cars recovered that have had the steering wheel cut to slide chain off as thats far easier than cutting through a chain..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

A hardened steel hex chain and hardened steel padlock will do the job. Wrap the chain in around two points on the steering wheel to make it more awkward for them, I have a pretty beefy 12mm hex chain on my steering wheel and It looks a right put off for any thief walking past the car at night :D
    Although I have immob and Alarm on my car also..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

The spinning discs that cover the whole wheel are what I've heard are the best, the bar type apparently just make it easier for toerags to get the leverage they need to snap the steering column lock.
    How about a wheel clamp as a deterrent? Course, if some smart arse decides to mangle the lock barrel with a screwdriver then you'll have to call in someone with an angle grinder...
    Steering lock as a visual deterrent and fit a kill switch somewhere so you can break the circuit back to the fuel pump? ie a manual immobiliser...

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

well for one i never saw something like this to do a decent chain

http://www.clubbuster.com/

its not every car thief thas has one of these in his toolkit.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

I like this one myself.

Although the paint repair bills would add up over time. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Any chain or lock that exposes much of the 'rim' of the wheel is useless...as I sadly found out the hard way a car steering wheel takes about 20 seconds to cut through with a junior hacksaw.The 'metal part' is only the thickness of a pencil ...the rest is foam obviously ...AND the darn 'metal part' is HOLLOW!!!Now think again about that much beloved chain!Unless you have it utterly wound around the wheel in knots its useless beyond a very mild visual deterrent .
    So 15-20 year old cars nowadays are an 'easy target ' as anything roughly post 96 has an' immobiliser chip' in the key .
    On a hopefully not too optimistic or fate tempting note though car crime seems to have dropped dramatically from the chronic late 80s /early 90s levels .Back then practically EVERY car you would go to look at would have been either broken into /stolen or damaged repaired...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

colm_mcm wrote: »
    steering-wheel-lock-1.jpg

I've got a couple of these, but of course, if they want to nick the car they, will. It's all about time / ease. All you have to do is make it look like it'll be more hassle or take longer than the next car.

They are heavy (3-4kg?) so place them carefully, as a flying PacMan :pac: frisbee in an accident doesn't bear thinking about.

A useful tip. If you want a disklok, get one from the UK, even with the post on it, it's a good bit cheaper than a Hellfrauds, even after some of their poxy discounts. They come in 3 sizes and they even do a shiny bling one.

Advertisement