Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Credit where credit's due

Options
  • 12-12-2009 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭

Very hungover day, decided to have a "Car Day", myself and Mr. Onkle sorted a few niggley bits with my car this morning- Exhaust Bung came out, fixed the brake lights...few bits and pieces.

We ventured over to Urban Performance in Tallaght to have a look and get my exhaust to sit right, while there the owner (Mick) chatted to us for about an hour on how I could get more power out of my Teg (He drives a DC5 and loves the DC2 so it was a car close to his heart) and went through all the options i'd have of tuning it, gave me prices and showed me parts etc.

Put my car up on the ramp then, took the backbox off, replaced some...thing that was broken (some seel thing), messed around with the backbox for a lil while, then fitted it back on the way it should be. Waqs at it for the best part of 40 mins, chattin to me and Onkle all the while showing us all the bits and pieces that make Type R's so great! Anti Roll bars etc. Advised me on what tyres to get for the car, he even advised me to go to camskill and he'd fit them because it'd be cheaper than getting him to supply & Fit.

I decided to put my car on the Dyno then, he gave it about 6 or 7 runs to make sure the engine was running nice and warm and to give me the best reading possible. (Ended up with 170 bhp, got 176 with the bung in a few weeks ago but he said his dyno give slightly lower readings than AI Autosport)

After the runs he told me what all the figures mean, C02 emmissions and the Fuel/Air mixture. Apparently my car is running slightly rich, thats why I get such poor fuel economy! Charged me 50 for the Dyno run and 20 for fixing the exhaust (which I thought was very reasonable) considering the amount of time we took up.

When the time comes to invest a few quid in engine mods, he'll certainly be the man I'll be getting to do the work. Just thought i'd let yall know!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Good to know.

Also nice to hear positive stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

yeah gotta say the guy was sound out. The exhaust was a pain in the hole to get off. Somebody obviously gave it a right smack when driving the car ;-)he replaced the gasket and had to straighten out the mounts. Also gave it a good few runs on the dyno. We must have been in the place for the guts of two hours too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Onkle wrote: »
    yeah gotta say the guy was sound out. The exhaust was a pain in the hole to get off. Somebody obviously gave it a right smack when driving the car ;-)he replaced the gasket and had to straighten out the mounts. Also gave it a good few runs on the dyno. We must have been in the place for the guts of two hours too
    It all came from me asking was there a motor factors nearby that I could see if I could buy new red Honda badges!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Seeign as the two of you are here, can either of you vouch for a UKDM teggy, reg was 96(or so) D 47601 or something to that number?

Was curious :rolleyes:

Seeign as the two of you are here, can either of you vouch for a UKDM teggy, reg was 96(or so) D 47601 or something to that number?

Was curious :rolleyes:
    Dunno what ya mean?

AFAIK the Teg was only made in that model from 98...I think.

The Jap Type R's go back to late 95

But if its a DC1 Teg, I think they have circular headlights (although its a Jap) There was a 96 4 door one circular headlights today, full rollcage and a sparco drivers seat

• Advertisement

Saw in some thread ye all say ye know about whatever teggy is floatin about, so thought I might ask about that one.

In that case, how might one tell it's UKDM, rather than JDM?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Well if its the same 'Onkle' who's involved in model car racing etc he REALLY is a helpful,salt of the earth sort .I once PM-d him for airbush compressor advice and he couldnt hve been more sound.

ytareh wrote: »
    Well if its the same 'Onkle' who's involved in model car racing etc he REALLY is a helpful,salt of the earth sort .I once PM-d him for airbush compressor advice and he couldnt hve been more sound.
    I have his phone number, jealous? :P

ytareh wrote: »
    Onkle was with me! But, he did help fix me brake lights before we went to Urban!

no i'm onkle. Yer man up there isn't :-)

• Advertisement

no i'm onkle. Yer man up there isn't :-)
    Thanks for confusing the shit out of me :confused:

Thanks for confusing the shit out of me :confused:
    ytareh assumed I ment Onkle was very helpful, but in my post I ment yer man Mick was very helpful. Onkle was just telling him!

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    ytareh assumed I ment Onkle was very helpful, but in my post I ment yer man Mick was very helpful. Onkle was just telling him!
    Ohhhh

So onkle is useless then? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Onkle managed to change a light-bulb???
    Last time he tried that, his Mk2 gti ended up in a thousand pieces on his drive!!!!

Onkle managed to change a light-bulb???
    Last time he tried that, his Mk2 gti ended up in a thousand pieces on his drive!!!!
    He didn't even do that! He helped take the panal off though! Handy at pulling stuff apart so he is!!!

What did I do to deserve this abuse? Wait don't answer that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

What did I do to deserve this abuse?

Do you want me to start on that one?!? Good that bung came out and the figure sounds good without it. Bet he had it off quickly!

EPM wrote: »
    Do you want me to start on that one?!? Good that bung came out and the figure sounds good without it. Bet he had it off quickly!
    Me and Onkle got the bung out in less than 5 mins, a decent hacksaw went through that bolt in minutes, then a pliers just pulled the bung straight out!!! It's bloody loud now though, great sound when it was on the rollers but i dont think i can live with it as a daily thing now. i'll stick it back in during the week with a decent new nut and bolt!!

it did sound impressive on the rollers. I have a video of it but it'll need an ''18's'' cert with the language coming out of Graham on it. It is a bit loud for daily driving though. But with a decent nut you can pull it in and out when you feel like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Wait.. Graham, you're saying your car is loud now ? It was bloody loud before!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,001 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I have a video of it but it'll need an ''18's'' cert with the language coming out of Graham on it

He came already even before 170BHP? :p

SV wrote: »
    Wait.. Graham, you're saying your car is loud now ? It was bloody loud before!
    Well it was a loud hum before, now its just a roar!!!

Once it hit VTEC on the rollers it sounded bloody brilliant

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    Well it was a loud hum before, now its just a roar!!!

Once it hit VTEC on the rollers it sounded bloody brilliant
    I want VTEC =[

My SiR zorst makes it sound like I have it though :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Lol @ loud hum.. If you don't get pulled over every single day I'll be suprised!

SV wrote: »
    Lol @ loud hum.. If you don't get pulled over every single day I'll be suprised!
    Haven't been pulled over once yet since I got it! Its not THAT loud, its just annoying when inside the car like.

12 hours is hardly enough time to answer that question graham :L

12 hours is hardly enough time to answer that question graham :L
    I meant since I got the car! Have the bung out two days now and nothin, putting it back in during the week though

not too tight though Graham

Advertisement