Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange bright light

Options
  • 12-12-2009 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭

Last night while I was out letting the dog do its business I noticed a very bright star, it was brighter than the surrounding. It just came from nowhere. Then it just started to fade but it was moving away from the horizon as if it was going higher in altitude. I've seen many shooting stars but this was not moving that fast.

I thought it might of been a satellite launch but then surely I would have seen it lightup and move upwards not just a sudden burst of light like that...

Any ideas? Are there any other man made spacial objects that can "flare" like that. It must have moved fairly quickly because it became indistinct within a few moments...

X

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

i saw a really bright star last night, really bright,, and looked like it was glowing red blue and white,.
    could that of been it,
    didnt move though,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

My guess would be a chinese lantern on meth or even more likely an Iridium Flare.

IridFlare2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

I'd agree with Grimes, probably a satellite flare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Could be the Geminids Meteor Shower, usually happens between 7th Dec to 17th Dec.

http://www.meteorblog.com/2009/12/meteor-shower-schedule-december/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Geminids peaked last night between 12-5am. Saw a few before, didn't manage to stay up beyond 12. Expected 100+ per hour, and you should be able to catch a few tonight also. Geminids tend to be slow burning also - there are a few reports of good bright ones on astronomy and space.

I missed all the good ones :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

From looking up about Iridium Flares I think it was that. Sudden bright flash then a quick dimming while moving.

Thanks!

Advertisement