Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NAAS road Friday 11pm

Options
  • 12-12-2009 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭

I drove up from Naas to Dublin last night and ...... people were actually driving in the correct lane. I should have phoned Joe Duffy to complain.

I only had to undertake 3 muppets to the M50, my favourite was the dopey b1tch in a green VW polo in the middle lane (veering 1-2 foot every 50 metres) with one rear light out and the working one was in a broken lense. Undertook her and when I looked in the mirror both front main headlights gone and 1 dip light working.

WHERE ARE THE FCUKING GARDS

People like dopey b1tch are LETHAL on our roads. How hard is it to educate stupid people to check their lights (daily) and tyre pressures (weekly).

(and a big F YOU to the knobs who insist on full headlights with fog lights):mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Driving down to Clare yesterday I saw maybe 5 one-eyed cars. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I regularly drive from Tralee to Galway and back and it's amazing the amount of oncoming cars that have one working headlight. Are the drivers oblivious to the fact that half of the road in front of them is badly lit or do they just not care?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Not that i give a sh!t but if she was in the middle lane why did you undertake her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

rohatch wrote: »
    I drove up from Naas to Dublin last night and ...... people were actually driving in the correct lane. I should have phoned Joe Duffy to complain.

I only had to undertake 3 muppets to the M50, my favourite was the dopey b1tch in a green VW polo in the middle lane (veering 1-2 foot every 50 metres) with one rear light out and the working one was in a broken lense. Undertook her and when I looked in the mirror both front main headlights gone and 1 dip light working.

People like dopey b1tch are LETHAL on our roads. How hard is it to educate stupid people to check their lights (daily) and tyre pressures (weekly).

(and a big F YOU to the knobs who insist on full headlights with fog lights):mad:

You do of course realise that undertaking is illegal, and if the guards were there as you wanted, you'd have been done for that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Out of sheer curiosity, have you ever used your mobile when driving? I suspect that you actually have, in which case you should be just as critical about yourself as you are (here) with others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Talk about taking this thread off topic.

The OP was making a point that the driving public were mostly in the right lane, and his undertaking is not a irresponsible then a person driving a car with no lights on a motorway.

I undertake from time to time on the m50/m7 not intentionally its because people are sitting in convoy in the middle lane and you are flowing freely where there traveling at 60-80kph.

But i have noticed that lately the later at night people use the lanes properly and its a joy to drive.

What way was he undertaking by staying in lane or maybe he was taking the exit in the free flow lane.

All jumping on our high horses is crazy here.
    Going from undertaking to using a mobile phone while driving what horse sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The OP said he undertook 3 people. we can take it that he has no problem with doing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Won't someone PLEASE think of the children!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭rohatch

cabrwab wrote: »
    Talk about taking this thread off topic.

The OP was making a point that the driving public were mostly in the right lane, and his undertaking is not a irresponsible then a person driving a car with no lights on a motorway.

I undertake from time to time on the m50/m7 not intentionally its because people are sitting in convoy in the middle lane and you are flowing freely where there traveling at 60-80kph.

But i have noticed that lately the later at night people use the lanes properly and its a joy to drive.

What way was he undertaking by staying in lane or maybe he was taking the exit in the free flow lane.

All jumping on our high horses is crazy here.
    Going from undertaking to using a mobile phone while driving what horse sh1t

Thanks for this, I just couldn't let myself reply to that rant.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The OP said he undertook 3 people. we can take it that he has no problem with doing this.

None what so ever. The alternative is to move across 3 lanes and then back again because some d1ckhead is driving like an arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Id love to create a job for myself, where i can go around and fine every one who doesnt have common sense on the roads and who doesnt know who to drive properly.Its people with out common sense who cause more accidents..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Thanks for this, I just couldn't let myself reply to that **nt.

None what so ever. The alternative is to move across 3 lanes and then back again because some d1ckhead is driving like an arse.

I've heard of people on here getting done for moving accross 3 lanes in this sort of instance. I've never heard of anyone on here getting done for undertaking.

Moral of the story seems to be that while undertaking is illegal, you are more likely to get done for obeying the law in this case.

And more than anything, the middle lane moron is less likely to get done in comparison to the above two scenarios. Sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭SuperDude87

The alternative is to move across 3 lanes and then back again because some d1ckhead is driving like an arse.

So to beat some "d1ckhead driving like an arse" you become said "d1ckhead driving like an arse"

I'm sorry but the mentality of some boardsies on the motor forums is incredible...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

So to beat some "d1ckhead driving like an arse" you become said "d1ckhead driving like an arse"

I'm sorry but the mentality of some boardsies on the motor forums is incredible...
    Argue the point by all means, but personal insults will result in a week off.

Ideally anyone who wants to make sufficent progress on a 3 lane carraigeway shouldn't be in the inside (left) lane to start with so the issue of cutting 3 lanes wouldn't normally exist.

Anan1 wrote: »
    Argue the point by all means, but personal insults will result in a week off.

Excuse me it wasn't intentional was just trying to point out the irony of his remark.

Boards.ie has plenty of drivers who believe they know how to drive and nobody else does. I think we all think we are good drivers, but it's silly trying to justify undertaking. My sister and I were nearly killed by a northern reg undertaking us at 110km/h literally by a hairs breath the car missed the front of my sisters car.

Undertaking is never justified IMO the OP should realise it's banned because it's dangerous!

Ideally anyone who wants to make sufficent progress on a 3 lane carraigeway shouldn't be in the inside (left) lane to start with so the issue of cutting 3 lanes wouldn't normally exist.

You would hope that at 11PM on a Friday night, there would hardly be any need to use the 3rd lane on the NAAS DC.

The 3rd lane is for overtaking cars in the 2nd lane who are themselves overtaking cars in the 1st lane. Due to low traffic levels at such a late hour, you should easily be able to make adequet progress on this road, but for middle lane morons who have the effect of turning a 3 lane motorway into a 2 lane motorway.

Do our government realise at all that extending 2 lane motorways to 3 lane motorways is completely pointless if people drive in the middle lane constantly ? This has more to do than just good driving, middle lane morons are reducing the capacity of that road by up to 33%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭rohatch

Undertaking is never justified IMO the OP should realise it's banned because it's dangerous!

Middle lane hogging is never justified IMO the OP should realise it's banned because it's dangerous!

What was your sister doing in the wrong lane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭NLane

My sister and I were nearly killed by a northern reg undertaking us at 110km/h...

what road were u on? what was the speed limit?

Excuse me it wasn't intentional was just trying to point out the irony of his remark.

Boards.ie has plenty of drivers who believe they know how to drive and nobody else does. I think we all think we are good drivers, but it's silly trying to justify undertaking. My sister and I were nearly killed by a northern reg undertaking us at 110km/h literally by a hairs breath the car missed the front of my sisters car.

What manouver resulted in the other car nearly hitting the front of your sisters car ?

Was it the other car pulling out into the overtaking lane after undertaking your sister or your sister attempting to pull into the driving lane after the other driver undertaking your sister ?

It was on the motorway going to Dundalk. A two lane motorway. She had pulled out of her lane to start overtaking a truck and as soon as she pulled out a 4x4 undertook my sister and pulled out into the over taking lane just in front of us.

It was incredibly dangerous and I can't see how my sister could be at fault but if she was that's fair enough. I can only imagine that somehow she will be in the wrong due to the amount of interest in my previous post.

• Advertisement

It was on the motorway going to Dundalk. A two lane motorway. She had pulled out of her lane to start overtaking a truck and as soon as she pulled out a 4x4 undertook my sister and pulled out into the over taking lane just in front of us.

It was incredibly dangerous and I can't see how my sister could be at fault but if she was that's fair enough. I can only imagine that somehow she will be in the wrong due to the amount of interest in my previous post.

in fairness this was incredibly dangerous driving by the other party... was just wondering why your sister was in an overtaking lane at only 110 kmph.

You would hope that at 11PM..........................................

I firmly believe that it's possible to influence other people's driving. by undertaking these idiots you're not letting them know that they're causing an obstruction.
    By not challenging people who park in disabled spots illegaly they don't think about their behaviour,
    By swearing under your breath at people who take the wrong lane at a roundabout you don't make someone reconsider if the manouver they just did was correct
    By undertaking someone on a dual carraigeway you don't inform the hogger that they're not using the lanes properly.

If you hogged the outside lane in Spain, Italy, Romania, or Germany you'd be flashed/honked/rammed. And so it should be. I strongly recommend flashing lights and honking!

When I'm driving, I constantly check speed, road position, mirrors, and lots of other things, I realise not all people do. If someone constantly gets honked/flashed, it'll sink in that they're doing something wrong,
    then the thinking process starts.

If you hogged the outside lane in Spain, Italy, Romania, or Germany you'd be flashed/honked/rammed. And so it should be.

really? you honestly think people should be rammed for hogging an outside lane? i really hate when people hog the overtaking lane without driving at least the speed limit, but come on, you cant be serious about this.

I firmly believe that it's possible to influence other people's driving. by undertaking these idiots you're not letting them know that they're causing an obstruction.
    By not challenging people who park in disabled spots illegaly they don't think about their behaviour,
    By swearing under your breath at people who take the wrong lane at a roundabout you don't make someone reconsider if the manouver they just did was correct
    By undertaking someone on a dual carraigeway you don't inform the hogger that they're not using the lanes properly.

If you hogged the outside lane in Spain, Italy, Romania, or Germany you'd be flashed/honked/rammed. And so it should be.

That is what I usually do. But if they don't yield, I will undertake.

Superdude, what happened to your sister seems to have been completely reckless driving by the other party. It was far worse than just plain undertaking.

Normal undertaking isn't as dangerous as people make out, especially if all drivers were to look into the left hand lane before changing lanes. Undertaking is legal in several countries such as the USA IIRC.

NLane wrote: »
    really? you honestly think people should be rammed for hogging an outside lane? i really hate when people hog the overtaking lane without driving at least the speed limit, but come on, you cant be serious about this.

I think that bit was a joke.

That was slightly tongue-in-cheek, but hopefully you get the idea ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Flashing and honking doesn't work in Ireland. There are too many insane people willing to jam on their brakes and cause an accident rather than pull over. As for ramming well that is insane and is not practiced in any country (hopefully).

in fairness this was incredibly dangerous driving by the other party... was just wondering why your sister was in an overtaking lane at only 110 kmph.

Seem as how the truck was travelling at about 80 or 90km/h she was travelling at a fair enough speed to overtake it quick enough (IMO) It shook me a lot but my sister reacted well (she didn't even need to break as he just shot off down the motorway) I was very shaken though.

It wasn't the first time I've witnessed madness by northern drivers on that stretch of road but I'm sure they see enough of it up there by us and that's another thread entirely.

That was slightly tongue-in-cheek, but hopefully you get the idea ;)

honking/flashing is ok i suppose, as long as the person has been driving below the limit for some time, or driving at the limit with a free inside lane.

• Advertisement

Seem as how the truck was travelling at about 80 or 90km/h she was travelling at a fair enough speed to overtake it quick enough (IMO) ...

yeh i'd agree with you there, no need for the other driver to do what he/she did.

Advertisement