Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help a Motoring Moron!

Options
  • 12-12-2009 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Unlike you guys. I'm a motoring moron so I'm hoping someone will take some pity on me and give me some advice. (the moniker MG is not car related)

I'm looking to change my car to allow for expanding family. That means trading in my 04 Corolla (with a dent courtesy of the wife and a keying courtesy of a little ****bag) and I'd like a new Toyota Verso.

The wife mentioned it during the last service and the dealer sent on a price (before trade in) of about 30,250 + 550 for Metallic Paint (can't find exact price right now) for a basic model without many extras.

I always buy my car at this dealer and I get my services done there. (Yes I know I'm probably being riden but I'm lazy, a moron and busy).

So based on this info, I'm wondering what would be a decent price to haggle down to. (I'm also open to haggling on extras, warranty or free services as well)

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There's a new Verso out now.

New generation D-4D and Valvematic engines so lower tax. and all models get air conditioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

more info on the corolla:
    saloon/hatch?
    mileage?
    NCT?
    how big is the dent?

the warranty is going to be 3 years anyway on a new toyota

I think you're miles off Berty. it's a new model to this country and supply is limited. Dealers don't have them taking up space on their forecourts. €3500 discount just won't happen.

i'd imagine €2000 to €2500 maximum discount/trade-in allowance.
    I know when the new Mazda 6 came out, mazda gave is an extra €500 margin to bring it to €2500. that went back down after about 3 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MG

more info on the corolla:
    saloon/hatch?
    mileage?
    NCT?
    how big is the dent?

the warranty is going to be 3 years anyway on a new toyota

it's a saloon, 80k miles on the clock, NCT is up in Jan and the dent is quite noticable.

I'm not expecting a fortune for it tbh but I'm supposing that they need to make a sale more than I need to buy so there must be a built in margin to the list price as well that I can chip away at.

Cheers

• Advertisement

Just to clarify, My previous post was in reply to a post by Berty who said they should be available for €26500 (list price is €31k)

Post was then deleted...

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Just to clarify, My previous post was in reply to a post by Berty who said they should be available for €26500 (list price is €31k)

Post was then deleted...

Thanks, I was wondering.

Have to say I'm a little surprised to only be looking at 2.5k Even with a poor trade in, I would have thought the list price would have a bit of fat built in and they'd be opne to deal especially these days.

What kind of margin are they working on?

Would have thought that they'd be anxious for a sale especially knowing they can gouge me for services and repeat business.

Thanks for the replies

Best thing to do is talk to your dealer. discounts etc. are all academic - the figure that counts is the cost to change. Toyota dealer should give you more for your Corolla than a non Toyota dealer.
    Also the Verso is the most modern of any car in its class and should have the strongest residuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bostoncommon

Best thing to do is talk to your dealer. discounts etc. are all academic - the figure that counts is the cost to change. Toyota dealer should give you more for your Corolla than a non Toyota dealer.
    Also the Verso is the most modern of any car in its class and should have the strongest residuals.
    you still love them!!

• Advertisement

shur they're only savage! paid my bills for long enough :D

shur they're only savage! paid my bills for long enough :D

I'm not getting the in-joke but it makes me nervous...so I gotta ask....
    No offence intended but am I getting fair and impartial advice here?

Nah, I used to sell them. completely unbiassed now though!

The old model was excellent, the new one is an improvement.

Nah, I used to sell them. completely unbiassed now though!

The old model was excellent, the new one is an improvement.

Thanks

So bottom line is that if I go in with my 04 Corolla, you reckon I'll be parting with about 28,500 cash.

you may do better than that. as I said, talk to your dealer.

MG wrote: »
    Thanks

So bottom line is that if I go in with my 04 Corolla, you reckon I'll be parting with about 28,500 cash.
    that €2500 i mentioned was the porbable margin, so not including your corolla. add that to the trade value of the corolla and it'll be a ball park of your trade-in.
    Dunno what the corolla's worth tbh, out of the business a bit too long.

MG wrote: »
    Thanks

Went in about it and did significantly better than that before even haggling.

Advertisement