Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Shifting Down Gears.

Options
  • 12-12-2009 1:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi. I have been driving for 6months now, and have a test in 2weeks. I am confident enough at the moment, but will do a pre-test are two before hand. I am just wondering, when im approaching a junction or a stop sign in 4th gear, do I have to shift to 3rd then 2nd before stopping? or can I go straight from 4th to 2rd and then stop? any help would be great thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭marbar

you don't have to go to 2nd. but if you can it helps
    you're allowed to stop in third

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 macinson

Sorry I had a typo in last post, meant to say "straight from 4th to 2nd"

as far as i recall, 4th to 2nd is a no no. it's lazy and should be avoided. if it's the best way to slow, you're going too fast
    there should be no occasion in your test where you'll have to do it, so it's best avoided. stop in third if you have to. if not, just go through them to second

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

macinson wrote: »
    Sorry I had a typo in last post, meant to say "straight from 4th to 2nd"

Yes you can shift from 4th to 2nd. Or you can just stop in 4th if you know you are coming to a complete stop. All are "correct".

Yes you can shift from 4th to 2nd. Or you can just stop in 4th if you know you are coming to a complete stop. All are "correct".

stop in fourth?? sure you'd cut out as you're slowing in fourth

i was told never to do this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

marbar wrote: »
    stop in fourth?? sure you'd cut out as you're slowing in fourth

i was told never to do this

It is recommended to stop in the "gear you're in" as there is no requirement to shift down through the gears in the test when coming to a complete stop. Shifting down through the gears to come to complete stop, was only recommended in the past when brakes weren't as good, and every little helped when stopping a car. But, with modern brakes, there is absolutely no need to change down through the gears IF you are coming to a complete stop. Obviously it is a skill you will need to know for turning corners, or slowing to a lower speed etc.

jaysus, i cant be that old that breaks didn't work!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭wicklaman83

there would be no harm in learning how to do it especially coming up to clear yield junctions

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is going from 4th to 2nd a no-no test wise?
    There's seems to be two 'definite' answers here.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭wicklaman83

you'd be better to check with your instructor.i'm fairly sure they still tell you to work your way through the gears

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Just wondering, when I'm coming to a stop in say 4th gear or any gear, I just press the brake to slow down and then the clutch when I'm near to where I want to stop. Is this okay to do? I've been driving for a few months now but haven't had any proper lessons yet.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

darren254 wrote: »
    you'd be better to check with your instructor.i'm fairly sure they still tell you to work your way through the gears

Quite the contrary. Most instructors (if not all) will tell you that it is recommended to come to a stop in whatever gear you are in. Less fuel is used this way and it is also better for the gearbox.
    Just wondering, when I'm coming to a stop in say 4th gear or any gear, I just press the brake to slow down and then the clutch when I'm near to where I want to stop. Is this okay to do? I've been driving for a few months now but haven't had any proper lessons yet.

That's fine. You only press in the clutch just before the engine is about to struggle, which is usually about 2/3 metres before you come to a stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

It's fine to step on the clutch so long as you don't take the car out of gear (into neutral) until you come to a complete stop. Travelling in neutral with the clutch depressed is a grade 2 mark in the test as far as I remember.

For what it's worth, my opinion is that downshifting as you approach a red light is appropriate since it gives you the best chance to move away without stopping at all should the light go green before you stop completely.

If I am approaching lights and they are going to amber or to red from amber then I would usually just stop in whatever gear I am in, given the fact that I won't get the opportunity NOT to come to a complete stop.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

No, I don't put the car in neutral until I'm completely stopped

Just another question (sorry for hi-jacking :P)

Can you get marked in the test for clutching too early? or clutching before you brake?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Can you get marked in the test for clutching too early? or clutching before you brake?

Yes, you will be marked down for this. You should only clutch just before the engine is about to cut out (you will be going quite slow at this stage anyway). If you clutch before you brake you are effectively coasting, which means you are not in control of your vehicle, and also more fuel is wasted this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

darren254 wrote: »

I've been told that if coming to a complete stop - so a stop sign - there's nothing wrong with stopping in the gear you are in, accepting that you will need to put the clutch down earlier if that is say 4th versus 2nd, but if approaching a situation where a complete stop may be unnecessary - so yields or traffic lights which have been red for some time, I should get into 2nd as I approach especially in the latter situation, in order to be able to continue without stopping if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 cr0bar

When I did my test last week I just went from 4th into 2nd every time I came to a red light or even to a stop sign, didn't get any complaints about it. It's a habit I picked up because I used to drive a lot when it was icy to get more practice, and just in case of the most miniscule chance the car would slide while the tyres were still cold.

For winter driving anyway it's something I would do more than when it's not icy.

All three methods are acceptable for the test. And they are:
    1. Shift down through each gear individually. ie 4th, 3rd, 2nd stop.
    2. Shift down and block change. ie 4th, 2nd, stop
    3. Don't shift down, and stop in 4th.

All the above of course are assuming you are coming to a complete stop and that you are driving in 4th gear before you start to brake.

Although they are all acceptable in a test, they're not all considered the best practise.
    1. Is the old way of doing things, back when brakes weren't as good and prolonged use of brakes would result in loss of braking power, every little helped so engine braking was utilised.
    2. Is almost a half way house between the two.
    3. Is the "modern" method. Brakes these days are far superior to the brakes of old. They have more than enough power to slow and stop the car and do not suffer from the same loss of power after prolonged use. Therefore there is no need to use the engine to help slow the car. And as i always post on this forum.
    Gears to go, Brakes to slow.

Advertisement