Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Language skills

Options
  • 12-12-2009 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭

What languages can you speak fluently?

Are you currently learning any?

What language would you like to learn?

Personally, I speak a little Gaelic, a few words of Swedish, Norweigen and Finnish, and I'm learning Dutch. Fascinating language with some unusual sounds.

I was looking for some youtube clips earlier to improve my dutch listening skills and found a hilarious clip that also shows the dutch 'sounds' that I like so much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Ha Ha,weird show!:)
    At one point in the vid (about 0.58-1.00 in),the presenter is saying complicated and it sounds like he is saying Iggle piggle. :-)

I did honours Irish in school and would understand abit but would be nowhere near fluent.
    Irish would be my favourite language to learn fluently.
    Followed by French,just cos it sounds so dam sexy!
    Did spanish in school-would love to know it fluently as enjoyed it.
    German-really dislike the the sound of it,but would be nice to know how to speak it for travelling.
    Polish-cos I've shared houses with so many Polish people, so it would have been nice to have conversations with them in their own language,instead of them always having to try to explain things to me in my language.
    Chinese-Just so I could show off!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

Fluently

Spanish
    Gaeilge
    English
    Portuguese

Basic conversation

Quechua

Was born in Colombia and moved here when 6. My Dad was a gaeilgeoir so i spoke gaeilge before i spoke English. Picked up Portuguese because i lived close to Brasil. Italian looks easy enough. Quite similar to Spanish. Might give that a try one day. Or French.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Fluently:

Java
    C++

Oh wait :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

English and German

I havent a word of Irish depite studying for years.
    Its sad but true.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Dutch kids have no teeth.

• Advertisement
Advertisement