Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to play Megadrive games at 60hz, what are the options?

Options
  • 11-12-2009 11:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

I know you could mod a European pal version to output in 60hz but I'm hopeless with that kind of thing.
    I suppose I could just buy one that is already modded. Are there any other options? What about a Japanese console?
    Will that output at 60hz and will it play European games?

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,581 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The options are -

Buy an American or Japanese console - both output in 60hz. Probably the easiest option. Just remember though they'll need step down transformers or an EU power supply. Plus quite a few games are region locked. So you won't be able to play them on that console.

Or fit a switch..easy enough to do.

Or buy a modded one on ebay.

Or play on an emu!

That's it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/sega/md1switches.htm
    Info about the 60Hz mod on the MD1/Genesis1 and other info about imports on a PAL system etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Saltour Sossiez

o1s1n wrote: »
    The options are -

Buy an American or Japanese console - both output in 60hz. Probably the easiest option. Just remember though they'll need step down transformers or an EU power supply. Plus quite a few games are region locked. So you won't be able to play them on that console.

Or fit a switch..easy enough to do.

Or buy a modded one on ebay.

Or play on an emu!

That's it really.

Thanks.

Is there a list or something online of games that work and games that don't? It might make things a bit easier. :)

Master of the Universe

Thanks.

Is there a list or something online of games that work and games that don't? It might make things a bit easier. :)

The general rule is - older games have no region lock, newer games do.

But the odd older game will and some newer games don't.

It's a bit hit and miss alright. I don't know of a list actually. I'd say there's one about.

There's no way of telling on the box. You only find out when you turn the game on and get one of those horrible 'this game was made for use in blah blah region' errors. It's a pain in the arse actually. As my Megadrive collection is PAL. And my Sega Nomad is NTSC.

'Oh wow, this'd look great on...oh wait..bugger'

You can get around the region lock out with a converter cart. But these are really rare and expensive.

Whatever you do, do NOT buy one of those 'honey bee' converters. As they just act like a pass through device..they let a Japanese cart fit into one of our Megadrives. Nothing more. You can do this yourself by cutting the tabs off the Megadrive cart slot. they don't beat the lock out chip at all.

The game geanie is another option. But you need specific lock out codes for each game. There's a guy over on the sega-16.com forums that is making them up for people.

Best solution I can think for you right now - import an American console and have a European one on stand by for those games that won't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Id be happy to perform the mod for you if you provide the two switches? You will have a switch for switching between 50/60hz, and a switch to change the games language to Japanese if the game supports it.

I can also adapt the cartidge slot to fit Japanese carts, so you will have a truly universal megadrive.

All you need is a standard Megadrive, no importing consoles/adapters/stepdown transformers...

*Mods - I wouldnt be charging for this, just helping out a fellow gamer.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    Id be happy to perform the mod for you if you provide the two switches? You will have a switch for switching between 50/60hz, and a switch to change the games language to Japanese if the game supports it.

I can also adapt the cartidge slot to fit Japanese carts, so you will have a truly universal megadrive.

All you need is a standard Megadrive, no importing consoles/adapters/stepdown transformers...

Would you be able to mod a Megadrive mark II, 32X and Mega CD II combo unit? Two switches on each (Or is that even possible?)

I could mod a Megadrive I but am not sure how to do a II. And really don't want to be experimenting on my Mega CD and 32X as they're both in fairly perfect condition and harder to pick up!

Check my thread here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055720335

Ive modded my megadrive, mega cd & 32x.

The megadrive 2 mod is slightly different, and I havnt yet done it...but its well do-able. Ive done my mega cd with arakons multi-region eeprom chip which gives you all three regions on the mega cd via two dp-dt switches. Ive also done my 32x with a region switch, so Ive a full megadrive/cd/32x unit capable of playing any game/region.

That's a very generous offer, and one which I may take you up on.

I should have mentioned in the first post that it's actually a Megadrive 2 that I'm looking to purchase.

Unfortunately, I keep getting outbid at the last second on ebay. :p

Master of the Universe

Don't get a Megadrive 2. Their sound and video quality isn't nearly as good as Megadrive 1s.

Try to get the Megadrive 1 that says 'High Definition graphics' over the cart slot. They're the best.

Like this one -
    megadrive.jpg

Too late. :(

I just won a Megadrive 2 on ebay for 35.50 from Germany.

• Advertisement

Console purchased, now to get a scart lead for better picture.

Would this one do the job, lads?

Alternatively, if anyone has a spare? :pac:

Master of the Universe

Console purchased, now to get a scart lead for better picture.

Would this one do the job, lads?

Alternatively, if anyone has a spare? :pac:

That one would be perfect. I made the mistake of buying a Megadrive I scart for a Megadrive II. Had to cut the thing open to get it to fit. So make sure you order the correct one! ;)

Can't see anyone having a spare....

Sent a message to consolepassion yesterday asking whether or not they could do a modded Megadrive 2 with switches for me. I explained that it probably wouldn't be worth my while sending my console to them due to postage costs (that, and I haven't even received it myself yet:p) and asked if they could supply the console as well.

To be honest, I'm not sure if he even understood what I wrote. Here's the message actually -

The pre-modded base costs more than the console on it’s own, so it would be best to get your own modded in the New Year as we’re completely busy until then.

Kind regards,

Not good. :mad:

Sent a message to consolepassion yesterday asking whether or not they could do a modded Megadrive 2 with switches for me. I explained that it probably wouldn't be worth my while sending my console to them due to postage costs (that, and I haven't even received it myself yet:p) and asked if they could supply the console as well.

To be honest, I'm not sure if he even understood what I wrote. Here's the message actually -

The pre-modded base costs more than the console on it’s own, so it would be best to get your own modded in the New Year as we’re completely busy until then.

Kind regards,

Not good. :mad:

My offer still stands saltour...One display/region modded megadrive 2, garnished on a bed of two switches, coated in cheese.*

*Cheese is ficticious.

My offer still stands saltour...One display/region modded megadrive 2, garnished on a bed of two switches, coated in cheese.*

*Cheese is ficticious.

Sounds delicious.

I'll message you when I get the console. Very nice of you.

Master of the Universe

Oooh! Me too! Me too!

I like bree by the way. Although if you don't have any, some Kilmeaden cheddar will do too :)

Oooh! Me too! Me too!

I like bree by the way. Although if you don't have any, some Kilmeaden cheddar will do too :)

Sorry o1s1n, all I have is that Galtee pre-sliced stuff. Wouldnt be your cup of tea :p

I only break out the Kilmeaden for the rare stuff. My mega cd bios mod took a LOT of Kilmeaden :D:D

Master of the Universe

Oooh, I wonder what kind of premium cheese would come out if I were to mod the Nomad?

I don't know what I'm even saying any more.

Oooh, I wonder what kind of premium cheese would come out if I were to mod the Nomad?

I don't know what I'm even saying any more.

Well thats easy man...Reblochon :D

Seriously what is wrong with us :D:D

Master of the Universe

We're just too cheesy for our own good.

Oh god.

/gets coat.

• Advertisement

We're just too cheesy for our own good.

Oh god.