Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BioDiesel in Bulk from Northern Ireland

Options
  • 11-12-2009 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Am considering buying Biodiesel in Northern Ireland. It is selling for
    equiv of 80 cent/ltr. It would be in 1000 ltr cubes. I would buy a 2000 ltr tank and get two cubes. I currently use 150 ltr of normal diesel per week so 5 mths supply.

My main concern is the question of VAT , duty etc. Anyone got some experience / advise to offer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Have you checked what Royal Biofuels in Athboy are selling it for? They were around 88c a litre, inc Irish VAT and (the earlier) diesel duty for just normal non-bulk fillups. Your 1000l price isnt that hot IMO, ignoring the fact you likely cannot legally import fuel from outside the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭louis346789

the biodiesel from the North is very good quality. Are you sure about not being able to import.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,260 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Are you legally allowed store 2000 litres domestically? What will your house insurance and the council drainage and fire departments say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ak13

No. It would be deemed as "smuggling":D

Victor wrote: »
    Are you legally allowed store 2000 litres domestically? What will your house insurance and the council drainage and fire departments say?

Why not?

When prices are good we get 2000 litres of kerosene(two 1000 litre tanks in our garage) for home heating and 600 litres of green diesel for the farm at the same time.

• Advertisement

I know it is no problem with regs or insurance , i will use a bunded tank, to store 2000 ltrs. I cannnot find any info , have looked at revenue site, regarding importing it from Northern ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DF1

Trucks regularly hold 1500 litres of diesel, they can fill up when and where they like (with legal diesel)
    How would this be any different from a VAT/excise point of view ?
    BUT:
    Would you be subject to ADR regulations transporting this.
    Thought anything over 1000l being transported required the driver to have ADR training .
    Could have insurance problems transporting it, if this is what you planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭manta356

Just be sure your getting bio-diesel and not washed diesel :eek::eek:

the biodiesel from the North is very good quality. Are you sure about not being able to import.

I've actually heard quite the opposite, but thats beside the point, why go through all this hassle when you have home grown legit alternatives?

Incidentally to the other posts, I have read somewhere that you cannot store fuel in large quantities at your home (aside from Home heating obviously). The fact a tanker-that-may-be-parked can hold X is irrelevant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

Hi
    Interesting thread.Is this Bio fuel 100% veggie material and has it been made to be run 100% with a deisel engine as in filtered and CETANE level raised or is just untreated and still requires the methanol proccess to get CETANE level up.

I am interested to use this for my home heating fuel solution as back up to the regular deisel tank that is there meaning two tanks on the land and I could just every now and then tap into the Bio deisel tank:cool: and skirt the isues if storage

AlsoWill royal in Athboy deliver to me

Also is there some limit like 15000 miles per year you can do with bio fuels or is that just for the recyled often free chipper shop oil

Bio desiel I though is safer to store than normal desiel and if it spills wont make the same big envirmental mess as oil based desiel

Derry

• Advertisement

Biodiesel should, by definition, be EN14214 compliant. If its not (ask the seller) then it doesnt meet EU Acceptable quality and standards. The "Methanol process" is not there to get the Cetene up, have a look at BioDiesel production online!

The other fuel you are thinking of is usually called SVO (Straight Veg Oil).

Has anyone got a number for Royal Biofuels.
    The number ending ..7534 is not working

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Eshaness

That place in Athboy is gone. Where is northern ireland were you looking at buying? I've been trying to find a new supplier ever since Eilish Oils was bought out by Glanbia and stopped doing retail sales. I was looking at buying 1,000 litre container.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭AARRRRGH

So will Biodiesel just go straight into a normal diesel engine car. Is there a hit on the mileage?

Advertisement